The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 5th, 2024, 5:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What happens if L of all MOSFETs is increased keeping the bias same? (Read 4485 times)
kanu

What happens if L of all MOSFETs is increased keeping the bias same?
Aug 30th, 2010, 2:24pm

I have a basic doubt here. For any circuit, what happens if we increase the Ls of all transistors, keeping the bias circuit same. Will it increase the Vgs of the transistors to keep the same previous current in the circuit as per the square law equation ?

Thanks,
Kanu

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Re: What happens if L of all MOSFETs is increased keeping the bias same?
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2010, 3:12pm

With current fixed, increasing L while keeping W the same will increase Vgs.  In practice this is limited by the headroom on the current source -- at some point you'll choke off the current source then the assumption that I is fixed no longer holds.

View Profile   IP Logged
kanu

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2010, 9:24pm

Hello AnalogDE,

Thanks for your help. I have further query. We have a level convertor circuit in our project, which is not working across lower temperatures in the range of -25 to 125 C. I understand that threshold voltage, Vth of transistor increases with decrease in temperature. So I tried increasing L and found that the circuit worked fine at lower temperatures as well.

So I wanted to confirm if this behavior is expected as per the explanation of increasing L increases Vgs for same current and drives more transistors in saturation ? If so, what constant biasing should I be referring for my explanation .... is it the input of level convertor which has not changed ?

Thanks,
Kanu

View Profile   IP Logged
kanu

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2010, 10:27pm

One correction in my previous post.... I meant transistors are going from cutoff to triode as Vgs is increased. We are basically trying to convert subthreshold voltage to superthreshold by the help of level converter.

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2010, 8:56am

Can you please post a schematic of your circuit?  I'm not exactly sure what's going on.  Also, what do you mean by "working"

View Profile   IP Logged
kanu

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2010, 10:57am

Hi AnalogDE,

I have attached a screenshot of the schematic of level convertor.  

Further, what I meant by "working" is that if we give pulse input to the level convertor circuit at low temperatures (say -25 C for example), it gives the output as straight line instead of a pulse.

But I found that if I increase L of the transistors, I get a pulse for lower temperatures as well. So I was looking for a possible explanation for this behaviour.

Thanks,
Kanu

Screenshot-1_005.png
View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2010, 11:21am

These circuits are kind of tricky because they rely on contention.  Sweeping L is doing something to your P-N ratio strength -- I suggest you narrow down exactly which one of the four level shifters is failing, then you can analyze the fail point deeper.  You can see how much drive you get at the gate of the switching PMOS (drain of NMOS pulling down) when switching and compare failing vs passing cases.

View Profile   IP Logged
kanu

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2010, 11:55am

I did a .op analysis for the circuit and found that the first stage (which is nearest to the subthreshold voltage) has many of its transistors in cutoff which is why the circuit was failing.

So I increased the L by 2 times for all the transistors of the Level convertor to test my theory. Although the circuit strated working fine, I wasn't convinced with Vgs increasing with increase in L for constant current. This is why I just wanted to confirm if this explains the behavior.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.