The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 4th, 2024, 9:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
op-amp for current to voltage conversion (Read 5894 times)
elionix

op-amp for current to voltage conversion
Sep 13th, 2010, 7:16pm

Hi all, I'm a new graduate student starting to work in a nanofab lab and most of my learning comes from digging around the web and reading research papers. I am trying to do the following and was hoping to get some feedback/advice...

I am trying to measure the current for five FETs simultaneously using the NI BNC-2090A.

My current setup allows me to measure one device by using the following setup:

My gate voltage and bias voltage is controlled by the NI BNC-2090A (which is connected to the DAQ card on the computer). I read the current using a Keithley 617 which is connected to the computer using GPIB-USB. Everything is controlled in labview.

What I would like to have set up is to use the 2090A to control the gate and bias but also use it to read the input and output current from the transistors under test. The advantage is that I can read 5 currents simultaneously and also much faster than the Keithley 617. I was told I would need op-amps for this setup because the 2090A only reads voltage so the opamp would allow a conversion from current to voltage.

My questions are... Opamps take in a voltage and amplifies it, why was an opamp recommended for this use? The range of current which I would need to measure goes from the picoamp range to microamps. I would need to get 5 opamps to achieve a current-to-voltage conversion from 5 devices. When shopping for opamps, what factors would need to be consider when trying to convert a picoamp to a voltage? Another restriction would be the current must covert to a voltage ranging from 0-10V as restricted by the 2090A but I assume this is solved though tweaking the gain.

I have limited experience in the field of electronics. Any feedback/thoughts would be very helpful! Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: op-amp for current to voltage conversion
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2010, 1:55pm

a schematic of what you are trying to set up would be very useful.

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2010, 8:19pm

elionix wrote on Sep 13th, 2010, 7:16pm:
My questions are... Opamps take in a voltage and amplifies it, why was an opamp recommended for this use? The range of current which I would need to measure goes from the picoamp range to microamps. I would need to get 5 opamps to achieve a current-to-voltage conversion from 5 devices. When shopping for opamps, what factors would need to be consider when trying to convert a picoamp to a voltage? Another restriction would be the current must covert to a voltage ranging from 0-10V as restricted by the 2090A but I assume this is solved though tweaking the gain.

I have limited experience in the field of electronics. Any feedback/thoughts would be very helpful! Thank you.

The opamp circuit can be configured as a "current to voltage converter" like this:

In your case the photodiode would be replaced by your FET. I'd include a big cap across the 5M resistor to filter noise. You'll need something more complex than what the figure shows... I think you are going to need to learn a lot about electronics given that you want to measure across 6 orders of magnitude (picoamps to microamps)... hopefully you mean 100s of pA.

You'll probably need a MOS or JFET opamp to get the current noise down. Look around at sites like National, Analog Devices, Texas Instruments and you might find some application notes that will help.

This isn't the best forum... The folks here are more into building integrated circuits than using discrete opamps.

This note from Keithley might help you see what you are up against. http://www.keithley.com/data?asset=6169

Best of luck,
Rob

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2010, 9:55pm

Hi Elionix,

RobG has provided an eloquent summary so I really have nothing more to add other than that really small currents (picoamps and less) are measured with an electrometer, not with an opamp.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.