The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quality factor of resonant circuit and Quality factor of inductor both are same? (Read 312 times)
saam
Community Member

india
Quality factor of resonant circuit and Quality factor of inductor both are same?
Sep 15th, 2010, 2:16am

What is the difference between quality factor of the resonant circuit and quality factor of the inductor??
both are same?? can anyone tel for both parallel and series resonant circuit

Thanku
surya

View Profile   IP Logged
Manish Dudhat

Re: Quality factor of resonant circuit and Quality factor of inductor both are same?
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2010, 4:33am

Dear friend,

i think as per the formula of Q-factor thats for RLC circuit is ,Q = R (sqrt{{C}/{L}),, so it must e different, as in the case of inductor circuit having or not having (only parasitic capacitor).
i hope so, that will sound ok...

Regards,
Manish

View Profile   IP Logged
anil reddy

India
Re: Quality factor of resonant circuit and Quality factor of inductor both are same?
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2010, 6:08am

hello..

the quality factor of the circuit (either series RLC or parallel RLC resonant circuit) indicates how fast the circuit is dissipating the energy through that explicit resistor (R). this is called the Q of the circuit..

on the other hand,  Q of a component comes from when you take parasitic resistance associated with that component...

thank you...

View Profile   IP Logged
tkhan

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2010, 6:23am

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2010, 7:23am

For the different definitions of the quality factor and their meaning, see http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=3790526195310866712&hl=en&as_sdt=2....

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rfmems

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2010, 7:30am

In my opinion, Q of RLC is only meaningful at its resonance frequency,
Q of an inductor or a cap is meaningful at all frequcies.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2010, 10:19am

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
saam
Community Member

india
Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2010, 3:06am

Thank U Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2010, 4:46am

hi Surya ,
while talking about parallel resonator most of the time general assumption is inductor is the only non-ideal thing and rest all are ideal (no parasitic), but if you capacitor also non-ideal then you can say
1/Qt=1/QL+1/QC. where Ql is inductor quality factor and Qc is varactor quality factor.

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
saam
Community Member

india
Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2010, 3:32am

K i got it...
Thank u

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #10 - Oct 1st, 2010, 9:53pm

Saam,
   People are making an effort on your behalf. Please show them the respect they deserve by using full words rather than IM shorthand.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
saam
Community Member

india
Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2010, 4:37am

I am really sorry....
    Thank you for your advice and i feel very happy for getting not only knowledge also suggestions for the new people like me to this forum.
   Thank you Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.