The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How can I get the position of poles and zeros of loop gain after stb analysis? (Read 1926 times)
frozenduck

How can I get the position of poles and zeros of loop gain after stb analysis?
Sep 16th, 2010, 8:33pm

Hi,

I'm using stability analysis (Spectre) to get loop gain plot(magnitude, phase, Nyquist plot) to check stability.

When I want to check stability through Nyquist plot, the number of encirclement of (-1,0)  equals
P(RHP poles of loop gain also RHP poles of (1+loop gain)) - Z(RHP zeros of (1+loop gain )).

If there are RHP poles, the number of encirclement of (-1,0) will not be zero to make sure there are no RHP zeros(stable system).

"How can I get the position of poles and zeros of loop gain after stb analysis?"
I tried to recognize them from bode plot, but failed(it's too complicated).

Otherwise, if using pole-zero analysis in Spectre, the loop needs to be broken. As I know, it's not a good idea to do so in a closed loop system.(that's why we are using stb analysis)

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: How can I get the position of poles and zeros of loop gain after stb analysis?
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2011, 8:41am

You probably need to contact Cadence to request this. There are some existing enhancement requests asking for the poles and zeros of a specific loop - currently the pz analysis gives you the poles and zeros of the entire circuit, whereas stb gives you the loop gain of a specific loop (but does not decompose this into poles and zeros). To do so is not entirely straightforward.

Anyway, you should register your interest in developing a solution for this by requesting such an enhancement via Cadence Customer Support at http://support.cadence.com .

Best Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.