The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:38pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fast inductor (Read 768 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
fast inductor
Sep 21st, 2010, 7:15am

hi,
can any one please tell me what is fast inductor corner, when i am ding vco corner simulation with fast inductor i am getting higher frequency, through this i got fats means less value of inductance. But i want to know what is the mean by fast inductor from process perspective (means thin metal width  or less radius ..some thing like this ?

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: fast inductor
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2010, 5:54am

I expect that the relevant process variation would be over- or under-etch in the plane of the inductor (the metal lines would be narrower or wider than intended), or a change in the thickness in the vertical direction, from when the metal layer is planarized (ground and polished).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2010, 5:24pm

I suspect that the corner variation of an integrated inductor is mainly due to the variation in parasitic capacitance to the substrate and the interwinding dielectric capacitance. These capacitances impact the self resonant frequency of the inductor, and the effective inductance increases as the frequency approaches the self resonant frequency. It is not that the inherent inductance changes, rather it is that the reactance changes more rapidly because of the second order resonant response (hope that is clear).

The metal spacing and width tolerances mainly impact capacitance. Inductance is fairly insensitive to these variations, but the effective inductance at a given frequency can vary substantially with the capacitance if the self resonant frequency of the inductor is within a couple of octaves of the operating frequency.

This is one reason why VCO inductors tend to be quite small in self inductance (to minimize the impact of parasitic capacitance variation).

I suspect your fast inductor corner corresponds to thick oxide thickness (between substrate and inductor metal) and maybe wide separation between windings.

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2010, 5:49pm

Hi Raja,

The higher VCO frequency may in fact have nothing to do with the inductance. Fast generally means smaller capacitance (slow is larger capacitance, though may not always hold) - if the capacitance for the LC tank has come down this can increase the oscillating frequency

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:52pm

HI,
thanks for every one who contributed some thing here. From the above discussion this is my understanding.

1.Mainly inter winding cap will effect due to spacing between turns (which is mainly under etching), metal width.
2.Thick oxide

Thanks..

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.