The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 31st, 2024, 11:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maximize ICMR (Read 3031 times)
extremis

Maximize ICMR
Oct 19th, 2010, 7:36am

I am designing an OPAMP with 0.6μm technology (Vtp=-0.9V, Vtn=0.7V) and i have a specification of ICMR=0.5-2.5V to meet. The power supply is 3V (single). I have considered the clasic 2 stage OPAMP with Miller compensation, the cascode and the folded cascode OPAMP, but i don't see how the ICMR requirement could be satisfied.

The folded cascode OPAMP seems to meet either the upper or the lower specification depending whether it has a NMOS or PMOS input differential pair, but not both. Could anyone suggest a simple topology that could meet the ICMR specification?

Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Re: Maximize ICMR
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2010, 9:29am

I think you need an input stage that contains both N and P diff pairs.  Search for "rail-to-rail" OTAs/op-amps.

View Profile   IP Logged
extremis

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2010, 2:56am

Thanks for the advice. I have found some rail to rail topologies, but they are too complicated and might even not satisfy other requirements. I was wondering if there is some kind of trick to increase ICMR using a simple topology.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2010, 1:03pm

Level shifters...  Like resistor dividers or source followers.

Rail to rail amps can be a real pain because now you have two input stages to lead to distortion, offset, noise, etc...

Good luck.

View Profile   IP Logged
extremis

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2010, 8:14am

Dan, i tried both approaches: source followers work just fine until Vcm~0.8V but after that the gain is lowered and resistor dividers seem to degrade performance, especially slew rate. I guess it has something to do with input capacitances but still i cannot find any way around it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.