The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about the shooting engine in PSS simulation. (Read 1915 times)
weigiho

Austin
Questions about the shooting engine in PSS simulation.
Oct 20th, 2010, 11:52am

When I try to use PSS to simulate a mixer with LO=2GHz, I have some questions about the setup:
(1)I am using "shooting" engine, the fundamental tone is 2GHz. I guess what the "2GHz" tells the simulator is to find a solution x that satisfies KCL & KVL as well as the solution x has to be periodic in 2GHz. And the way it finds x is try to make smart guess of the initial condition x(0) such that x(0)=x(1/2GHz). Is that correct?

(2)Then I also have to setup "number of harmonics". I do not quite understand how this information is used in PSS. Suppose I set it to be 10, then what it does is that try to fit the solution x from the "shooting" method (obtained in (1)) by weighted sum of 2G,4G,....,20GHz sine waves. Is that correct?

(3)Then the fitting from (2) can be used in a "harmonic balance" fashion to do the next step analysis, for example PAC. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your kind feedback!

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Questions about the shooting engine in PSS simulation.
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2010, 2:43pm

1) correct
2) By default PSS analysis will output the results in both the time domain and the frequency domain. When you specify the number of harmonics, you are telling SpectreRF how many harmonics you would like computed for the frequency domain output. This value is ignored if the 'outputtype' parameter is 'time'.
3) When shooting is used for PSS, it is also used for PAC. No conversion to harmonic balance is needed, nor is it done.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.