The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 4:33am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can cycle- to-cycle jitter include flicker noise effects? (Read 4909 times)
joebob

San Jose, California
Can cycle- to-cycle jitter include flicker noise effects?
Oct 23rd, 2010, 8:50pm

Can someone comment on cycle-to-cycle jitter's sensitivity to flicker noise? Since cycle-to-cycle jitter should be sensitive to high frequency noise, does it also have components of flicker even though flicker is slow moving? Or, is cycle-to-cycle completely insensitivity to flicker. I guess it depends on the frequencies.  How does flicker affect other jitter metrics?

View Profile   IP Logged
lifespeed

California
Re: Can cycle- to-cycle jitter include flicker noise effects?
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2011, 5:02pm

I think that depends on the frequency range you integrate over to calculate jitter from phase noise.  Typically, for a communication system, you would not be that interested in integrating below 10 KHz or 15 KHz.

View Profile   IP Logged
smlogan
Community Member

Boston, MA
Re: Can cycle- to-cycle jitter include flicker noise effects?
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2011, 12:21pm

Hi Joebob,

Since cycle-to-cycle jitter is only a measurement of the period relative to the prior period, it will be insensitive to flicker noise which is typically significant at frequencies less than 10 MHz in nanoscale CMOS technologies.

The difference function you create forms a high pass filter and hence the cycle to cycle jitter will filter out the 1/f noise component. I suppose the exception to this is if your clock frequency is very low (<10 MHz).

Shawn
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.