The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:15pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why LNA input needs to be matched to 50 ohms? (Read 12203 times)
vp1953

Why LNA input needs to be matched to 50 ohms?
Nov 02nd, 2010, 4:19pm

Lets say we have an LNA with the input transistors being ideal CMOS devices. In this case the LNA is primarily a voltage gain device rather than a power gain device (assuming the input impedance is large and reactive).

After connecting the input of the LNA to a 50 ohm source, the LNA input looks like an open circuit to the source; this maximizes the voltage at the input of the LNA and hence maximizes the voltage gain.

Any comments?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Why LNA input needs to be matched to 50 ohms?
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2010, 7:16pm

Hi vp1953,

this appears to be the most popular question on the forum and i'm surprised you don't really see it properly clarified in texts. It has been answered numerous times, and most recently here:

http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1284194476

However, your analysis is not quite correct. You can get higher power gain by power matching directly to the device. Here you have to take into account a more complete model of the transistor's input impedance.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2010, 7:42pm

Ok, at low frequencies the MOSFET looks very much like a voltage controlled current source, but at high frequencies the input capacitance lowers the input impedance making it impossible to consider the input as an open circuit. The input reactance must be dealt with at high frequencies, but real objective is to maximize the SNR and provide an impedance match if at all possible.

Power transfer is a significant consideration for LNAs with antennas because we want to maximize the SNR which involves both maximizing the incoming signal and simultaneously minimizing the impact of thermal noise and added noise (thermal or shot) of the amplifier circuit. We know that the choice of 50 ohms is somewhat arbitrary and does not have any meaning when it comes to maximizing the SNR, but for better or worse we (our industry) have decided that 50 ohms (or some multiple of 50 ohms) is the impedance of choice for designing most front-end passive components. So, our problem, as RF engineers, is to provide best NF in a 50 ohm environment for most wireless systems.

Ah, I should add that power matching into a pure capacitance makes absolutely no sense at all either. Power matching into a pure reactance is ludicrous. But it is possible to create a real input impedance for the MOSFET if resistive shunt feedback or inductive series feedback (degeneration) is used. So, feedback also plays an important roll in matched LNA design (one way or another).

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2010, 8:44pm

Hi RFICDEUDE,

Quote:
Ah, I should add that power matching into a pure capacitance makes absolutely no sense at all either. Power matching into a pure reactance is ludicrous. But it is possible to create a real input impedance for the MOSFET if resistive shunt feedback or inductive series feedback (degeneration) is used. So, feedback also plays an important roll in matched LNA design (one way or another).

Let me clarify what i meant by power matching. A pure reactance does not dissipate power and therefore power matching is not possible. However, the input impedance of a MOSFET is not a pure reactance and so in theory power matching is possible. In practice, the quality factor of the input capacitance is too high to match to and so we generally try lower the Q by synthesizing an on-chip resistance (inductive degeneration, resistive termination, resistive feedback, common-gate, etc).

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2010, 10:29pm

Hi RFICDUDE,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. While agree with your comments that at higher frequencies, the input of the MOSFET is not an open circuit, it can be a large reactance  (eg 1000 ohms of reactance is easily achieved) with a much smaller gate resistance.

I am not sure how by matching the impedance, the SNR is maximized. I will give an example to show that SNR is changed very little, with and without matching.

Eg say we have an LNA with an input impedance of 600j (600 ohms reactive) and a voltage gain of 20dB. When connected to a 50 ohm source, the voltage gain of the LNA is 600/(50^2+600^2)^0.5 *20dB is approximately 20dB. NOW if i were to match the input impedance of the LNA to 50 ohms, the voltage gain is now halved. The SNR is unchanged because with 600ohms input impedance, the input referred noise voltage is divided between 600 ohms and 50 ohms (with most of the noise voltage coming across the 600 ohms) - so almost all of the source voltage and noise voltage is present across the input of the LNA. For the matched case, the noise coming across the input of the LNA is half (half the source voltage and half the noise, effectively giving the same SNR)

It is not clear why matching to 50 ohms provides better SNR or why it provides any benefits at all.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2010, 8:43am

Your example is incorrect.

Firstly, it is not possible at match to 600j ohms.

Secondly, the voltage gain in your example can be improved significantly by series resonating the gate capacitance. If you series resonate the gate capacitance, then the voltage gain becomes 20dB + 20*log(600/50)

It reality, you are more likely to see an input impedance of -600j + 20 ohm. I put the minus sign because its capacitive. If we write this as an equivalent parallel RC, we get 18 kohm in parallel with -600j ohm. When we match to this impedance, the step up in resistance level will result in a voltage gain of about 25 dB. So you would actually get a voltage gain of 45 dB. So with power matching you will undoubtedly get more gain. However, if you read the links that I posted you will see that this is not the reason that we match to 50 ohm.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2010, 1:07pm

Vp1953,

In the IC world there is a luxury which is often taken for granted which is a low impedance can drive a high impedance with no consequences.  On chip impedance matching is actually a detriment to efficiency why loose half your signal when you don't have to?  

Distance between source and load will necessitate the need to match.

Remember that in any circuit there is a source and a load. if you optimize the load (your hypothetical LNA) while neglecting the source you will find that the total circuit or system will not be optimal.
For example: Imagine that this high impedance LNA is 1/4 wavelength from the source (at the frequency of interest) then the source will see a short and the load will see an open.   In this case you will not get twice the signal of a matched system instead you may not see any signal and the source will have to pay the tax of driving a near short.  So therefore a compromise must be made on both ends where a transmission impedance is selected as a standard.  

Not being matched has several other issues, including being prone to interference, causing interference, undesired amplitude ripple, high sensitivity to parasitics,stability etc.  

For LNA's the optimal power match is usually not the best noise match and in this case it may make sense to trade one off against the other.
significant
I asked myself the same question a while ago and if there is a distance between the source and load then matching is the lesser of all evils.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2010, 3:43pm

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your lively discussion. There is absolutely no question that series matching -j600 of LNA input impedance will give a substantially larger voltage gain as you have demonstrated. Furthermore my question is not about why 50 ohms (vs 75 or other values) is used which is what the thread you pointed to was discussing - but why match at all for an LNA?

My question is say we have two LNA's
1)one with an input impedance of 50 ohms and a gain of 20db
2) the second one with an input impedance of -j600 and a gain of 20dB

Both give near identical SNR but -j600 impedance has twice as much gain so then why choose the one with 50ohm impedance?  Being able to leave the input impedance at -j600 (or such high values) gives a great degree of freedom (eg no need to have to have a source degeneration inductor etc).

Basically i fail to see the need for matching when without matching i can get nearly same performance.

Where am i mistaken in my reasoning?

ps. it is not possible to conjugate match -j600 of reactance with onchip inductors of low Q, so this would require an offchip inductor which may not be acceptable.

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2010, 3:48pm

hi Rfcooltools,

you have a very valid point and i agree the distance between source and load is a major factor as for the quarter wave transformer example that you gave.

But for the discussion, I will confine myself to the case where there is not a large distance between the source and the load; and where even at large frequencies of 915M/2.4GHz, the physical dimensions of IC's/circuits are small enough compared to wavelength that there is no need to use S parameters/travelling waves, and as you pointed out matching will make you loose half the signal in this case.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2010, 7:44pm

Hi vp1953,

I think I see what you are trying to argue now. You are not talking about compared with power matching, just impedance matching.

In that case I think the points made by rfcooltools are what you're looking for. Apart from that, if you have an off-chip component in between the LNA and the antenna, such as a filter, the transfer function is only correct for the matched case.

For the specific case you are talking about, there is no need to consider travelling waves, and if there are no intermediate blocks, then I don't think there is any need to do impedance matching either.

cheers,
Aaron

Hi rfcooltools,

I don't really follow your example of the 1/4 wavelength t-line.

Quote:
In this case you will not get twice the signal of a matched system instead you may not see any signal

why won't you get twice the signal? From the simulations I have run, you should get twice the signal.

thanks,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2010, 11:02pm

vp1953,

Most consumer rf electronics might have a difficulty being a product if very special placement constraints are required for the normal operation.  If you are producing a module with source IC and load IC and substrate then you can pretty much do what you want.   other wise the benefits have to outweigh the risks.  At least that is my experience.

Aaron_do,

when I stated that you may not see the signal I was picturing a source/emitter follower driving a short and while I could imagine the distortion associated with that, i guess I took the idea of a short a step further and pictured a DC short. You are correct it would be doubled... my mistake.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2010, 4:16am

The question of "Why match an LNA at all?" only matters if the LNA is connected to "controlled impedance" components and systems such as filters, duplexers, transmission lines (RF, SERDES, cable), optical/electrical interfaces (photodiode and laser drivers), etc.

These high frequency or wide bandwidth systems rely on defining a controlled impedance to standardize the interface requirements between different component manufacturers. It also makes it possible to design a system without having to design each component first.

LNA inputs generally interface with transmission lines, filters and/or antennas which all require impedance matched interfaces for the system to achieve the intended performance.

If the output of the LNA does not interface with an external component such as a filter then there is no reason to use impedance matching techniques at the output of the LNA.

There are plenty of other systems that do not require impedance matching (sensors) even when low noise performance is required; however, most of these are low frequency applications.

What are the consequences of not matching in systems using controlled impedance components?
- Not matching antennas will cause a loss of system sensitivity.
- Broadband digital system suffer ISI
- Not matching to a filter can increase insertion loss and distort the frequency response.
- Stability is more difficult to guarantee

Is conjugate matching optimal?
No. As mentioned before, SNR in high frequency narrowband circuits is generally maximized using an impedance different than that of conjugate matching. This is true for antennas too.
For LNAs, as RFCOOLTOOLS said, a systematic design tradeoff can be made to achieve adequate NF and gain. It is possible to tweak the input impedance without changing the noise parameters of the circuit such that the input impedance can be made to be coincident with that required for optimal SNR (minimum NF), but that is getting into too much detail.

I hope this helps clarify why and when impedance matching is needed in LNA design.

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2010, 7:00pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great input.

Rfcooltools made a great observation that the distance between the source and the load greatly impacts the impedance seen at the source. But what about the impedance seen at the load?

Say we terminate the transmission line with an open - the voltage is maximum at the load end regardless of the length of the line. The voltage maximum seen at the load sets the standing wave pattern in the line and the source sees a different impedance that varies with the length of the line.

So if i go back to my hypothetical LNA with large input impedance (open), the voltage at the LNA input is always the same for any length and hence the LNA output voltage stays the same, and hence I really have no need to match the input of the LNA to 50 ohms since the output of the LNA remains the same.

Please feel free to correct any of my assumptions and i admit that my transmission line theory is a little rusty, so i may have made some erroneous assumptions.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2010, 10:41pm

vp1953,

Actually the problem again lies with the circuit driving your LNA, (besides the fact that a true open is not possible). Consider two extreme conditions that the source driving your LNA might see depending on tline length and frequency.  to further illustrate picture a source follower or emitter follower driving a very high impedance vs driving a very low impedance which are the two extremes of what the tline andLNA might appear.  In the high impedance case the current leaving the follower is small but very linear.  While the follower driving the very low impedance will have signal at its gate/base while its source/emitter will be an AC short and distortion will be at a maxima.  This might be able to be overcome to some degree by increasing the bias current in the driver to compensate, but then this is really shifting the burden to the source.  

There is also a problem of interference which has been touched upon by rficdude, aaron_do.
For the this concept consider an antenna which can be simplistically viewed as an open at one end and terminated at the other.  The antenna radiates at maximum when there is a standing wave associated with the length of the conductor usually 1/2 wavleength and multiples thereof.  It may not be the best antenna with the ground plane beneath it but it will be pretty good.  This is problematic for two reasons first the signal sourced to you LNA will radiate at some frequency which may be at the desired or even at a harmonic and the FCC will deliver the cease and desist notice to the product.  Antennas also work also receive as well as they transmit and your LNA will be listening to all signals that might be large, like a cellphone nearby or wifi etc.  

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #14 - Nov 6th, 2010, 6:39pm

Hi Rfcooltools,

I concur with your statements and your observation about the distance between source and load is brilliant. I felt i was missing something out all these years and this was the first time some pointed out this. My objective was just a thought experiment and to see where it could lead. I dont ever intend to make any products out of this and many RF blocks like circulators couplers just dont work without matching

Anyway the main reason why i had this line of thinking was less lofty and was to test a mixer circuit (with high input impedance) - I thought there was no need to match the input to the source. Most measurement equipment should be able to support varying load conditions as long as the incident power is not very high. Do you see any issues with this?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.