The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TRAN+STB  or  PSS+PSTB ? (Read 3384 times)
the_wavefunction

TRAN+STB  or  PSS+PSTB ?
Nov 15th, 2010, 7:56am

Circuit:
A VCO + simple 2-stage opamp that feeds the VCO comprise my entire circuit.  Also, a feedback path is taken from the VCO back to the opamp.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question:
Now, which method is the appropriate one to find out the stability of the opamp loop using iprobe component  -  tran+stb  or  pss+pstb ?

Is it tran+stb because its an opamp loop? or is it pss+pstb because there is an oscillator?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I'm unsure, I curiously tried simulating with both methods.
The loop gain plots seem totally different and so do the corresponding gain and phase margins!  For e.g: the loop gain magnitude for pss+pstb almost always starts from close to 0 dB and rises midway around, irrespective of the opamp open loop gain.

Could anyone kindly suggest the right analysis that suits this task?

View Profile   IP Logged
the_wavefunction

Re: TRAN+STB  or  PSS+PSTB ?
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2010, 9:27am

Thank you pancho_hideboo.

Let me take a humble bow for your enlightening and thought-provoking suggestions!

The circuit simulator is Spectre 7.1.1 - 32 bit, and the tech lib is 0.18um TSMC.

And I sincerely hope, the names 'VCO' and 'opamp' stay the same immaterial of Cadence or Synopsys or ADS!  Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks once again Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2010, 9:29am

You would use pss+pstb because the effective operating point is periodically varying. With tran+stb you effectively freeze the oscillator at a certain point in its limit cycle, which would give the wrong result.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
the_wavefunction

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2010, 10:31am

Thanks a lot for your inputs, Ken!

I'll proceed that way.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.