The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 11th, 2024, 12:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
switched capacitor question (Read 5630 times)
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
switched capacitor question
Nov 19th, 2010, 9:02am

Hello
I have a basic question regarding switched-capacitor integrator circuit, look at the attached drawing (from Paul Gray's book, chapter 6). on the top phase (sample phase), I am wondering what's the charge at right plate of C1? I am thinking because it's connected to ground (or any DC voltage), there should be no Charge, if that is the case, why we say at integrating phase (low drawing), the charge will be dumped to capacitor C2?

Thanks,

SHquestion.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: switched capacitor question
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2010, 7:39pm

hi,
The charge on the plate is -cs*v1. Connected to ground doesn't mean zero charge, here more or less ground will provide this charge to cap plate.

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2010, 1:57am

Hi nxing,

the answer is simple: During the sample phase the feedback capacitor must be discharged to be prepared to the next period (with charge transfer).
However, this assumes that the charge from the last period has been transferred before to the next stage which acts as a sample-and-hold stage (sample phase of the second stage).
That means, you never can treat a S/C integrator as a separat and isolated stage because, in reality, it always is operated in conjunction with some other circuitry.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2010, 9:46am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I think now I understand it. The ground actually is  a AC ground but a DC one. So there is still charge on the left side of C1. Is that correct?

Regards,

View Profile   IP Logged
Julian18
Community Member

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2010, 4:57am

Hi nxing:
   at zero voltage doesn't mean no charge is stored. e.g. the earth can be thought of as always at voltage 0, but of course it has a lot of charges.

Best regards

Julian Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Julian18
Community Member

Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2010, 4:59am

nxing wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010, 9:46am:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I think now I understand it. The ground actually is  a AC ground but a DC one. So there is still charge on the left side of C1. Is that correct?

Regards,

IMHO. whether it is a AC ground or DC one is irrelevant.

View Profile   IP Logged
adesign
Community Member

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2011, 3:16am

Hi,

I'm referring the Figure6.8 on page 413.

Here is the sequence of operation:
During phase Φ1, LHP(Left Hand Plate) of C1 is connected to Vs whereas RHP(Right Hand Plate) of C1 is connected to ground. This means the net charge on C1 is C1.Vs during phase Φ1. During this phase only, the capacitor C2 is fully discharged. In this phase, RHP of C1 and LHP of C2 are hard-grounded.

During phase Φ2, switches S1, S3 and S4 opens, whereas switches S2 and S5 closes. The hard-grounding from RHP of C1 and LHP of C2 is removed. Then the virtual-ground functionality of opamp starts, such that this node acquires virtual-ground. During this operation, the charge transfers occurs and this leads to the net voltage on Vo as

Vo = (C1/C2)*Vs

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Nandish Mehta

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 9:34pm

Just a note.

Also during phase when C1 bottom plate is grounded it gets charged to Vs i.e. the input. In the next phase that charge gets transferred by forcing virtual ground at the negative plate.

I feel this is a very simple scheme which is parasitic insensitive (parasitic of sampling capacitor & switches which actual matters the most).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.