The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 1:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Netlist reduction question (Read 2300 times)
Paul H

Netlist reduction question
Nov 22nd, 2010, 8:17am

Hi,

In my AMS Designer log file I'm seeing ...

Parasitic resistor `rs' has been deleted because its
       value of 24.6 mOhm ( R / (Area * MFactor) ) was smaller than `minr'.

and this is repeat a few times.

What is going on here ?  To me it looks like spectre is doing some sort of netlist optimisation by default that I'm not expecting.

Thanks
Paul

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Netlist reduction question
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2010, 8:33am

Do you actually care about a 24mOhm resistor?  Generally, these resistors are in series with much larger nonlinear resistance (eg, the junction of the diode), and 24mOhm is irrelevant, but removing it makes the circuit matrix smaller (and less prone to numerical problems).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Paul H

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2010, 8:50am

No I don't care about resistors which are this small. I'm just trying to understand what spectre is doing to the input netlist before the numerical analysis part of the simulation starts.

Thanks
Paul

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2010, 10:18am

Spectre is not doing anything to the netlist. The message indicates that the MOS model itself considers the resistor to be negligible and so is ignoring it. If you feel the resistor is significant, there are steps you can take to assure it is included in the simulation, but that is very unusual. In almost all cases you are safe in allowing the resistors to be neglected.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.