The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 29th, 2024, 1:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
difference of HB and PSS/HB in ADE (Read 4304 times)
Aigneryu

difference of HB and PSS/HB in ADE
Nov 25th, 2010, 2:45pm

Dear All,

In some MMSIM versions, I can see a separate HB analysis option in the ADE analyses menu while the PSS>HB option is still available. The setup parameters in HB option menu are slightly different from those in PSS/HB (PSS and then select HB engine). What will be the difference if I invoke HB through these two different options?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: difference of HB and PSS/HB in ADE
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:56pm

The main reason for adding a separate hb analysis was to appeal to users more familiar with other harmonic balance simulators, to give a single analysis setup regardless of whether there is one tone or multiple tones, and also to avoid cluttering the analysis with parameters which are only used in the Shooting Newton method. The underlying engine is the same though.

There are some capabilities which are supported in the separate hb analysis which are not in the Harmonic Balance mode of pss/qpss though:
  • Ability to specify the frequencies by value (rather than by using the frequency names on the sources)
  • Ability to perform a semi-autonomous analysis - have an oscillator as one tone, and driven signals as other tones
  • Support signal partitioning (allows different numbers of harmonics in different parts of the circuit)

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Aigneryu

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2011, 3:36pm

Thanks Andrew,

I have been waiting for your answer for quite some time. By the way, you mentioned that in HB analysis setup, we can perform a semi-autonomous HB analysis. Does that mean I can use it to simulate the injection pulling of an oscillator (not injection-locked)?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2011, 11:03am

Sorry nobody responded sooner - I was away from this forum for a number of months.

Yes, I believe it should be possible to simulate the effects of injection pulling with semi-autonomous. I've certainly used it to look at the effects on noise by having an interferer, so I don't see why this should be any different (I've just not tried it personally so far).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.