The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Geometry parameters in Spice/Spectre simulation. (Read 3036 times)
Taimur Rabuske

Lisbon, PT
Geometry parameters in Spice/Spectre simulation.
Nov 26th, 2010, 11:35am

Hello. Maybe this would sound a little bit stupid to the more experienced command-line spice/spectre users. I know that making the schematic in a GUI (e.g. Virtuoso) and then generating the netlist, the geometry parameters from the pcell are passed to the netlister, and the netlist will contain parameters such as AS, PS, AD, PD (areas and perimeters of drain/source). But what about running simulations from a manually typed netlist? Should I manually calculate these parameters? Doesn't sound like a straightforward approach. Spectre help is not completely clear about it. So I searched in BSIM3.3 and BSIM4 user manuals, and it's not also clear. So, from your experience, can I rely on a netlist with no explicit as, ad, ps and pd parameters???

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Geometry parameters in Spice/Spectre simulation.
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2010, 11:11pm

Taimur Rabuske wrote on Nov 26th, 2010, 11:35am:
But what about running simulations from a manually typed netlist?
Should I manually calculate these parameters?
Yes, you should use same equations for calculating them as PDK.

Taimur Rabuske wrote on Nov 26th, 2010, 11:35am:
So, from your experience, can I rely on a netlist with no explicit as, ad, ps and pd parameters???
No, it is not appropriate.

Each simulator have default values for as, ad, ps and pd.
If you don't specify them in MOS FET instance stament, simulator use default values.

kasu.png
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2010, 1:09am

Hi Taimur,

First of all, we need non-zero value of AS, AD, PS, PD, NRS, NRD. It tends to transient non-convergence for some circuits if those values are zero.

Second, we depend on schematic entry software and good PDK to calculate those parameters automatically nowadays. I say good PDK because not all foundries provide PDK that calculate those parameters or calculate those parameters correctly.

Third, even if you have a schematic entry software and good PDK, you cannot always rely on them.  For example, the MOSFETs in I/O cells may have very large drain diffusion to meet ESD design rule. It causes bigger non-linear parasitic capacitance, please be careful if you design a very high performance circuit.

Fourth, if unfortunately you do not have any schematic entry software and PDK. There is some parameters in the MOSFET model for estimation of the area and perimeter of drain and source. For BSIM3, there are hdif and ldif, acm and so on. Please read simulator manual, and model manual for details.

The last, you'd better to check your SPICE/Spectre model before you begin to simulate.

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
ontheverge

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2010, 7:03am

Hi Yawei,
If possible, could you name one or two  schematic entry software (other than Virtuoso)? that would do a lot help to me.
thanks,
Steve

ywguo wrote on Nov 27th, 2010, 1:09am:
Hi Taimur,

First of all, we need non-zero value of AS, AD, PS, PD, NRS, NRD. It tends to transient non-convergence for some circuits if those values are zero.

Second, we depend on schematic entry software and good PDK to calculate those parameters automatically nowadays. I say good PDK because not all foundries provide PDK that calculate those parameters or calculate those parameters correctly.

Third, even if you have a schematic entry software and good PDK, you cannot always rely on them.  For example, the MOSFETs in I/O cells may have very large drain diffusion to meet ESD design rule. It causes bigger non-linear parasitic capacitance, please be careful if you design a very high performance circuit.

Fourth, if unfortunately you do not have any schematic entry software and PDK. There is some parameters in the MOSFET model for estimation of the area and perimeter of drain and source. For BSIM3, there are hdif and ldif, acm and so on. Please read simulator manual, and model manual for details.

The last, you'd better to check your SPICE/Spectre model before you begin to simulate.

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.