The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 12:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to access current of a wreal port in pure digital environment? (Read 3291 times)
pipeline

How to access current of a wreal port in pure digital environment?
Dec 01st, 2010, 7:04am

I want to write some behavior model using wreal for digital verification, but encounter an issue accessing current for a voltage wreal port. The detailed description is attached. Without using Verilog-A electrical discipline, how can I handle such case? Need your help, thanks.

wreal_current_access.PNG

learning to walk on the road of analog
View Profile   IP Logged
jerome_ams
Community Member

Re: How to access current of a wreal port in pure digital environment?
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2010, 1:55am

Hi,

The wreal approach is a nice way to handle real signals, which then can be used to describe analog-like quantities, in a pure event driven simulation (digital simulator). This real signal could represent eitherway a voltage, or a current, but there is no physical meaning here, no electrical discipline... It is just a real signal, which the designer uses to represent something...
The Verilog-A(MS) has been developped to cover this analog physical representation, defining disciplines to formulate the voltage/current duality.
So, I would say take benefit of the VerilogAMS to achieve what u want here.
U can connect wreal to electrical, and get good results if u set properly the ConnectModules in between.

Cheers,
Jerome

View Profile   IP Logged
jerome_ams
Community Member

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2010, 1:59am

or u can process the wreal input (U) of your load, to compute a signal named for instance I (I=U/R) which will be triggered by U... This internal I signal is a real, which "represents" a current... But it won t be probed as a current, but as a digital real signal

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2010, 4:51pm

wreal is one value one way all the time, at least as currently defined by the most recent version of the AMS LRM.  
Even if you are using electrical discipline, if its a Voltage driven from outside, you cannot sense, the current, you have to DRIVE the current, as appropriate to the voltage coming in. the node driving the voltage will sense the TOTAL current coming from all loads.
In the electrical world you can drive either voltage or current, but not both. and you can sense either, but you have to drive the other.
or your network is indeterminate.

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.