The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 31st, 2024, 5:25am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crude current reference circuit (Read 12786 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: Crude current reference circuit
Reply #15 - Dec 07th, 2010, 5:41am

Isabelle wrote on Dec 7th, 2010, 3:07am:
Hello,
The simplest solution might be to connect the available bandgap voltage directly to a PMOS device with a really small W/L ratio to lower its gm.  Since the AnalogDE's accuracy requirements are very loose, that may be good enough, even with PVT variations..... Smiley

Hi Isabelle,
Yes, that has been suggested by Carl and myself (but I suggested an NMOS). I'm curious how you or Carl would connect the PMOS. With an NMOS it is simple: Gate to Vref, and source to GND, and take the current from the drain. But how would you connect a PMOS?

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #16 - Dec 7th, 2010, 6:32am

Is it just me who finds it strange that Isabelle's contribution is an exact quote from carlgrace (reply #3) and that there is a link to a "Dogs for sale" website in her signature? Ken?

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #17 - Dec 7th, 2010, 6:35am

Frank Wiedmann wrote on Dec 7th, 2010, 6:32am:
Is it just me who finds it strange that Isabelle's contribution is an exact quote from carlgrace (reply #3) and that there is a link to a "Dogs for sale" website in her signature? Ken?

LOL... you are correct

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #18 - Dec 7th, 2010, 4:23pm

Hello,
The simplest solution might be to connect the available bandgap voltage directly to a PMOS device with a really small W/L ratio to lower its gm.  Since the AnalogDE's accuracy requirements are very loose, that may be good enough, even with PVT variations..... Smiley

I am so honored that my suggestion could be used by Isabelle in her spam.

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #19 - Dec 7th, 2010, 4:27pm

RobG wrote on Dec 7th, 2010, 5:41am:
Hello,

Hi Isabelle,
Yes, that has been suggested by Carl and myself (but I suggested an NMOS). I'm curious how you or Carl would connect the PMOS. With an NMOS it is simple: Gate to Vref, and source to GND, and take the current from the drain. But how would you connect a PMOS?

rg

Rob,

It totally depends on the VDD range and whether AnalogDE needs to source or sink a current.  For example, if the BG voltage is 1.1 V, for instance, it might be challenging to keep an NMOS under control with such a large VGS.  If VDD where 1.8 V, for instance you could connect it like you suggested AnalogDE connect the NMOS: Vref to gate, source to VDD, drain to load.  Either way works, depending on the situation.

AnalogDE said the plan was to go with the weak NMOS.  I think it will work.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #20 - Dec 8th, 2010, 7:26am

carlgrace wrote on Dec 7th, 2010, 4:27pm:
Hello,

Hi Isabelle,

rg

Rob,

It totally depends on the VDD range and whether AnalogDE needs to source or sink a current.  For example, if the BG voltage is 1.1 V, for instance, it might be challenging to keep an NMOS under control with such a large VGS.  If VDD where 1.8 V, for instance you could connect it like you suggested AnalogDE connect the NMOS: Vref to gate, source to VDD, drain to load.  Either way works, depending on the situation.

Oh, ok. I don't like doing stuff like that (even though it was strongly endorsed by a lady selling dogs Smiley ). The reason is that Vref is bypassed to ground so any AC power supply noise appears across the PMOS gate/source and gets put onto the current (Iac=gm*Vnoise). Most applications can handle the variation with Vdd, but not the AC noise, especially when mismatches are considered.

The larger Vgs is actually an advantage since it lowers the gm. It also steers the temp co towards PTAT, which is better for most circuits. There is also a point where the temp co is zero. This point has been around Vgs=1.2 V when I've played with it, although I'm sure it depends on the Vt of the device.

Adding resistive degeneration decreases the gm even more.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it  :P .

Rob
-----------
No I don't sell dogs.

View Profile   IP Logged
mowiehowie

Reply #21 - Dec 8th, 2010, 10:18am

Hello,

do you sell only raw dogs ? any hot dogs ?

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #22 - Dec 8th, 2010, 1:13pm

RobG wrote on Dec 8th, 2010, 7:26am:
carlgrace wrote on Dec 7th, 2010, 4:27pm:
Hello,

Hi Isabelle,

rg

Rob,

Oh, ok. I don't like doing stuff like that (even though it was strongly endorsed by a lady selling dogs Smiley ). The reason is that Vref is bypassed to ground so any AC power supply noise appears across the PMOS gate/source and gets put onto the current (Iac=gm*Vnoise). Most applications can handle the variation with Vdd, but not the AC noise, especially when mismatches are considered.

The larger Vgs is actually an advantage since it lowers the gm. It also steers the temp co towards PTAT, which is better for most circuits. There is also a point where the temp co is zero. This point has been around Vgs=1.2 V when I've played with it, although I'm sure it depends on the Vt of the device.

Adding resistive degeneration decreases the gm even more.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it  :P .

Rob
-----------
No I don't sell dogs.

You're right Rob.  Your idea is the way to go.  I didn't think about the noise... I figured if AnalogDE had such a loose tolerance on the matching then most likely there wasn't a big requirement on the noise.  I do get your point.  Good luck getting the tempco hitting the match zero spot.  Reminds me of gm stages in RF circuits that try to hit the magical zero third-order distortion point.

Carl

PS I'm pretty sure Isabelle would have sold you a dog pre-cooked if you paid her enough...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.