The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 8th, 2024, 4:54am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase-Noise Conversion to Jitter  using Matlab (Read 14058 times)
pcardoso73

Portugal
Phase-Noise Conversion to Jitter  using Matlab
Dec 08th, 2010, 12:01am

Hi all,

I am doing a Phase-Noise on a Pierce XTAL oscillator. I did it on Cadence using PSS + PNOISE. I have exported the data to Matlab and now I want to convert this data into Jitter. How can I integrate the Phase noise curve ? Please bear in mind that I am using log units, so dBc/Hz vs frequency.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Pedro Cardoso

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Phase-Noise Conversion to Jitter  using Matlab
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2010, 6:25am

hi,
please integrate in spectra RF only, why you want to move to MATLAB?

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
pcardoso73

Portugal
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2010, 7:15am

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, but I have already done that and the result is not what I was expecting.
In this case I used the cslculator, and the function 'integ' to integrate. Once yy the units of the are dBc/Hz and for xx axis Hz (frequency), should I do any manipulation of the data prior to integration ? That is, should I convert to linear units the plot, and only then calculate the integral ? As the phase noise is given in dBc/Hz, I guess I sould calculate the power of the carrier and add it to the yy axis.

Does this make any sense ?

Best regards,
Pedro

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2010, 8:02pm

hi,
first convert y axis into linear just bu 10^(L/10) and now this is corresponding to single side band so multiply with 2 to get both side bands. Now integrate so you will get RMS phase error. then divide this number with 2*3.14*f0. Finally you will end up with RMS jitter.

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2010, 12:19am

Quote:
hi,
first convert y axis into linear just bu 10^(L/10) and now this is corresponding to single side band so multiply with 2 to get both side bands. Now integrate so you will get RMS phase error. then divide this number with 2*3.14*f0. Finally you will end up with RMS jitter.
which is the PHASE JITTER / Long Term Jitter.

If you want Period Jitter, then scale with an appripriate weighing function & integrate.
As to what weighing function you wanna use, there have been several metrics from different theoretical physicists lk Demir, Zanchi, etc. which are basically related to sinc function.[FT of a rectangular time window]

About Cadence's analog artist calculator, it provides the values for long term as well as short term period jitter correctly provided you are feeding the correct data.

--M

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2010, 12:34am

You can find the formula for k-cycle jitter (Jc) at http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1224609785/9#9.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pcardoso73

Portugal
Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2010, 7:32am

Than you very much to all of you.

Cheers,
Pedro

View Profile   IP Logged
Dinesh Agarwal

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2011, 5:40pm

phase noise with unit v2/Hz integrated will have unit of v2.

My doubt is how it is converted in jitter with time unit (second) , dividing by 2*3.14*f.

pls give few details

dinesh
Analog Design
View Profile dineshkumar_33 688078 din   IP Logged
pcardoso73

Portugal
Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2011, 3:29am

Dear all,

I have still some problems with integration. I want to calculate Jcc jitter. So I am doing a PNOISE + PSS simulation. But what gives me some doubts about the integration limit is that the Jcc varies a lot, due to the harminc's presence (I think so). So my question is, can I integrate till one fraction of fo/2 ? Which range would give me the most accurate result ? I think that at fo/2 I am couting the noise of the harmonic. Is this correct ?

Best regards,
Pedro

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.