The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 30th, 2024, 11:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cascode Bias (Read 7327 times)
extremis

Cascode Bias
Dec 13th, 2010, 6:51am

I have replaced the 2nd stage of the classic 2 stage Miller compensated OPAMP with a cascode stage to get more gain, i have BIASed the top 3 MOS transistors to work at saturation for Vcm=VDD/2, but they get out of saturation range for higher/lower Vcm.

What is the best way to make it work for the entire Vcm range? Should i use a wide swing cascode mirror?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Re: Cascode Bias
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2010, 10:42am

Are you using a telescopic topology?  If so, that topology has an inherently limited common mode input range -- consider using a folded cascode topology to increase VCM range.

View Profile   IP Logged
extremis

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2010, 9:00am

No, it is not telescopic topology; first stage is a differential PMOS pair with NMOS mirror load. Instead of the NMOS common source with PMOS load second stage i have a cascode stage, but it is much more unstable.

I design the OPAMP so that Vout=(VDD+VSS)/2 for Vcm=(Vcm,max+Vcm/min)/2; Vout usually varies with Vcm, but with this topology it varies so much that one of the middle transistors gets out of the saturation range.

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2010, 11:34am

Got a picture of your opamp?  You can't really control Vout with a high-gain amp unless you wrap feedback around it.

View Profile   IP Logged
extremis

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2010, 2:42am

I am trying this OPAMP from P.E. Allen lectures, except that input is a differential PMOS pair.

cas1.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2010, 2:59am

extremis wrote on Dec 17th, 2010, 2:42am:
I am trying this OPAMP from P.E. Allen lectures, except that input is a differential PMOS pair.

If you change the input (differential pair) to PMOS, and leave the output the same, you can get into biasing problems. If u want PMOS in, PMOS out, go for the folded cascode.
You can also make a complete PMOS->NMOS translation: NMOS diffpair -> PMOS diffpair AND PMOS outputstage -> NMOS output stage.

View Profile   IP Logged
extremis

Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2010, 3:25am

I have already done the PMOS->NMOS translation; it is the BIAS that bothers me. I have used a wide swing cascode mirror to BIAS the top 2 PMOS transistors, but maybe there is a better solution that works for the entire Vcm range. I have also used a voltage divider to avoid complementary differential input.

cas2.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2010, 1:23am

extremis wrote on Dec 17th, 2010, 3:25am:
I have already done the PMOS->NMOS translation; it is the BIAS that bothers me. I have used a wide swing cascode mirror to BIAS the top 2 PMOS transistors, but maybe there is a better solution that works for the entire Vcm range. I have also used a voltage divider to avoid complementary differential input.

Biasing of transistor N3 will be poor around corners. You can improve by using a long diode connected transistor with a resistor to supply, to bias N3. =)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.