The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 12th, 2024, 4:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
piplelined ADC /OTA dynamic error (Read 2874 times)
ontheverge

piplelined ADC /OTA dynamic error
Dec 14th, 2010, 12:41pm

Hi,

in a N-bit pipelined ADC, stage k for example, what should be the dynamic error requirement during its settling period for the MDAC?  I think 1/(2^N) is over constrained. any thoughts on this?

also, in estimating the slew time, is there any rule of thumbs or we just use (V_step - 2*sqrt(2)*V_overdrive)/SR(input) ?

thanks,

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: piplelined ADC /OTA dynamic error
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2010, 7:24am

ontheverge wrote on Dec 14th, 2010, 12:41pm:
Hi,

in a N-bit pipelined ADC, stage k for example, what should be the dynamic error requirement during its settling period for the MDAC?  I think 1/(2^N) is over constrained. any thoughts on this?

thanks,

Steve

what makes you think that the requirement 1/(2^N) is too restrictive?

If you consider the systematic DNL introduced at the boundary of each quantization interval, then you will see that a finite settling accuracy dv will appear as +dv on one side and -dv on the other, giving you DNL = 2*dv, just due to finite settling errors (combination of finite DC gain + settling errors).

And that would be just the DNL from one single stage. If all your stages were identical, you would get input-referred DNL:

= (2*dv + 2*dv/2 + 2*dv/2^2 + ...)/2, where the assumption is that you are using a stage gain of 2. You can work out what dv needs to be in order to get whatever target DNL you want due to systematic errors alone, not counting other error sources.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ontheverge

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2010, 4:26pm

vivkr wrote on Dec 15th, 2010, 7:24am:
Hi,

thanks,

Steve

If you consider the systematic DNL introduced at the boundary of each quantization interval, then you will see that a finite settling accuracy dv will appear as +dv on one side and -dv on the other, giving you DNL = 2*dv, just due to finite settling errors (combination of finite DC gain + settling errors).

I'm thinking of "per stage resolution" which obviously is smaller than N.

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2010, 3:19pm

ontheverge wrote on Dec 16th, 2010, 4:26pm:
vivkr wrote on Dec 15th, 2010, 7:24am:
Hi,

thanks,

Steve

I'm thinking of "per stage resolution" which obviously is smaller than N.  

The key is not the "per stage resolution" but only the resolution remaining after the stage in question.  The reason we can scale stages is because the number of remain stages decreases as we go through each pipelined stage.

So, a large per stage resolution reduces settling requirements because there are few bits to resolve after the first stage.  On the other hand, the feedback factor of the MDAC goes down with larger resolution, so you may need to burn more power to meet even this reduced requirement.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.