The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 4:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectre RF simulation with one or more custom command clocks with the same globa (Read 935 times)
GrugetA

Spectre RF simulation with one or more custom command clocks with the same globa
Dec 22nd, 2010, 9:38am

Hello all,

I'm working on a circuit that is quite simple when studied in schematics and in transient simulation, but the difficulty comes when I want to extract its transfert function.
The basis and my objectives are similar to the basic circuit described in the document "Simulating Switched-Capacitor Filters with SpectreRF" ( http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf ). I have a perfect current sine signal, chopped by switches driven by clocks. This chopped current integrates into a capacitor. After a time the voltage of the signal is taken as a sample, and then the capa is reset by closing a switch on both nodes of the capacitor. The global length of this pattern is Ts. Then all this pattern restart for a new cycle. So all the behaviour is periodic of period Ts, and the output samples are taken at frequency Fs.
This circuit is doing a bandpass filtering and a subsampling function.
The clocks that are chopping the current are some custom clock sources with a global period Ts. (vpwlf sources)
All this circuit can be called a "bandpass filtering integration subsampler" (BFIS).
I want to measure the transfert function of the filtering function of my circuit, so i have the same issues as described in the aforementioned document. Spectre RF seems a good solution. But my questions are :
1) Is it possible to run a PSS and a PAC simulation with a periodic clock, but different from the standard (50% duty cycle) clock ? (For example in my case during the Ts lenght the clock is switching many times betweed Vdd and 0). If yes, which parameters do I have to set in this command clock ?
2) Is it possible to run a PSS and a PAC simulation with several command clocks driving several parts of the circuit. With the same global period Ts but with different behavours during this time ? (For example a chopping clock at hight frequency + a reset clock only at Vdd during one short time in the whole Ts time) ?

In order to maybe help the understanding of my circuit I attached a capture of the simplified scheme, and here just below the corresponding netlist.
Thanks in advance for your help

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Library name: test
// Cell name: lnta_ideal_cleaned
// View name: schematic
subckt lnta_ideal_cleaned LNTAn LNTAp RFin Vcm inh_gnd inh_gnds inh_vdds
   G0 (inh_gnd LNTAp RFin inh_gnd) vccs gm=80m
   G1 (inh_gnd LNTAn RFin inh_gnd) vccs gm=-80m
   R3 (Vcm LNTAp) resistor r=10G
   R4 (LNTAn Vcm) resistor r=10G
ends lnta_ideal_cleaned
// End of subcircuit definition.

// Library name: test
// Cell name: Simple_BFIS
// View name: schematic
W14 (net109 Vintp CMDcn 0) relay vt1=300.0m vt2=1 ropen=RoffC rclosed=RonC
W15 (net109 Vintn CMDcp 0) relay vt1=300.0m vt2=1 ropen=RoffC rclosed=RonC
W5 (Vintn Vcm CMDr 0) relay vt1=300.0m vt2=1 ropen=RoffR rclosed=RonR
W13 (net110 Vintn CMDcn 0) relay vt1=300.0m vt2=1 ropen=RoffC rclosed=RonC
W12 (Vcm Vintp CMDr 0) relay vt1=300.0m vt2=1 ropen=RoffR rclosed=RonR
SWcp1 (net110 Vintp CMDcp 0) relay vt1=300.0m vt2=1 ropen=RoffC \
       rclosed=RonC
V3 (CMDr 0) vsource type=pulse val0=0 val1=1.2 period=1/Fs \
       delay=1/Fs/Ndiv*(Ndiv-2) rise=1/Fs/Ndiv/10 fall=1/Fs/Ndiv/10 \
       width=1/Fs/Ndiv
V10 (0 gnd) vsource dc=0 type=dc
V11 (vdd! gnd) vsource dc=1.2 type=dc
V15 (Vcm gnd) vsource dc=600.00m type=dc
C0 (Vintp Vintn) capacitor c=600f
V0 (CMDcn 0) vsource file="pwlFile_CLKcn" fundname="Fs" type=pwl \
       pwlperiod=1/Fs
V13 (CMDcp 0) vsource file="pwlFile_CLKcp" fundname="Fs" type=pwl \
       pwlperiod=1/Fs
V2 (RFin gnd) vsource mag=Vin_amp type=sine ampl=Vin_amp freq=Fin
I63 (net109 net110 RFin Vcm 0 gnds! vdds!) lnta_ideal_cleaned
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capture_Simple_BFIS.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Spectre RF simulation with one or more custom command clocks with the same globa
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2010, 3:44pm

Quote:
1) Is it possible to run a PSS and a PAC simulation with a periodic clock, but different from the standard (50% duty cycle) clock ? (For example in my case during the Ts lenght the clock is switching many times betweed Vdd and 0).
Yes, of course. SpectreRF is a circuit simulator. It simulates the circuit you give it, with the stimulus you specify. The only assumption it makes is that the response of the circuit be periodic.
Quote:
If yes, which parameters do I have to set in this command clock ?
You just specify either the period or the fundamental frequency on the PSS analysis.
Quote:
2) Is it possible to run a PSS and a PAC simulation with several command clocks driving several parts of the circuit. With the same global period Ts but with different behavours during this time ? (For example a chopping clock at hight frequency + a reset clock only at Vdd during one short time in the whole Ts time) ?
Yes, of course.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
GrugetA

Re: Spectre RF simulation with one or more custom command clocks with the same globa
Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2010, 2:17pm

Ok, thanks, I start the design !
Quote:
The only assumption it makes is that the response of the circuit be periodic.
In my case the periodic output signal is donwnconverted in frequency, so its period is much longer than the fundamental period.
Do i need to choose the frequencies of my circuit so as the output period is a multiple of the fundamental period (sampling period) ? Or i don't care ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2010, 12:03am

The periodicity requirement only applies in the PSS analysis. Presumably the downcoversion is occurring in the PAC analysis, in which case the small input frequency is unconstrained.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.