The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cmos passive mixer I/O (Read 7402 times)
kelly
Community Member

cmos passive mixer I/O
Dec 26th, 2010, 8:34pm

Hi,

I am designing a differential voltage mode cmos passive mixer test chip.  The mixer RF/LO frequency is from 400M to 4G Hz.  IF is 30M to 250MHz (low side injection).  For the test chip, mixer I/Os are coming and going off chip.  The mixer consistes of 4 swtiching NMOS with the gate (LO) biased at 1.25 (with VDD=2.5) and the source at 650m-700mV.  The souces of these FET are also ac coupled to the incoming RF signal.
My questions are :
1.  Since it's kind of broad band, can I add a 50 ohms resistor at the each input instead of a matching network.  And how would I do that? (after the ac couping cap with the two 50ohms across the two inputs?)
2.  Can I do something similar to the output?  The mixer differential outputs are ac coupled to an external differential filter.  
3. Do I need to have both drains and sources biasd at 650mV or just either is ok?

I am used to seeing the passive mixer as part of the integraded LNA -mixer-filter-VGaA combo.  That's why I a little incertain about mixer I/O since now they need to go off chip.  

I am new to the community and have been benefitting from reading the posts here.  Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Re: cmos passive mixer I/O
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2010, 4:25am

As the passive mixer input is a gate of a transistor, it should be matched to 50 ohm through a matching network (in order to resonate out the gate capacitance). The same goes for the output.

Another important thing to notice is the ability of the mixer to push an external component through a pad and package pin (large capacitance), you may consider using a buffer in order to perform a good measurement of your mixer.

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2010, 10:56am

Hi rfmagic,

My mixer does not have a gm stage, the inputs are the sources of the switching FETs.  The input impedance is the channel resistance looking back to the sources.  I was just trying to see whether I can size the devices without worry about the input impedance.  My thinking is size te switching devices to give me the bast IIP3, and take care of the input by using a real resistor.  

The gate is the LO inputs, I plan to do what you said to resonant out the input cap in order to have more voltage swing.

Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2010, 2:04pm

First, the switch on resistance (Ron) should be small in comparison to the source and load impedance to prevent Vds modulation resulting in intermodulation distortion.

Second, the passive mixer impedance at RF depends on the impedance at baseband/IF. If the baseband/IF is terminated into a real resistance then there will be a real resistance around the LO+/-IF, so it is possible to make the RF input impedance broadband real resistance. But at higher frequencies the gate capacitance and RF pad interconnections paratisitcs must be accounted for. It would be difficult to achieve really good matching out to 4GHz without a serious modeling and compensation effort; although, if you are using RF probes on die then the packaging parastics are not so much of an issue.

What is the filter impedance within its passband?

How much modulation bandwidth do you care about?
If you are just tuning up to 4GHz, but you only care about 10MHz-100MHz signal bandwidth, then the impedance matching will be easier in that 10MHz to 100MHz offset from the LO.

A cheesy solution, if you do not care about the absolute bandwidth, is to resonate out the capacitance with some shunt inductance if the RC rolloff of the passive mixer is the primary issue. It is more complicated if the bondwires (if you are using a package) are series resonating with capacitance on the RF port.

I'm not sure whether or not this was helpful to your situation.

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2010, 4:06pm

Hi RFICDUDE,

The reason the RF input impendance depends on the baseband/IF is because when you look into the RF ports you see the Ron(the switching pairs)+IF pads + input impedance of the IF filter, right?  Since the IF filter is off chip (for this passive mixer test chip), I assume I need to do an output match to the IF filter input, no? (IF filter is a saparate part with differential imput impedance of eiher 50, 100 or 200 ohms depending on which part the system guy chooses, but it's negotiable).

Since my mixer really just the 4 FETs switch devices, I thought I could at least just put a resistor across the IF ports (since it's low frequency).  But how does that change the input impedance look into the RF prots?  Would you just see the Ron + Rif?  Am I understanding your point correctly?

Thanks so much for replying.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2010, 7:05pm

Hi RFICDude,

Reading your post again, I think you are just saying that since Ron is relatively small, the input impedance from the RF port will be affected by what happens at the IF port, right?  If that's the case, can I still just put a resistor across the IF ports (that matched with the filter input inpedance), and then try to match the RF port?  In another words, do/fix the matching on the low frequency port 1st, and then take care of the RF.  Am I thinking right?

By the way, since the IF signal is no higher than 300MHz, is matching still necessary even though it's going to an off-chip part?

I think RF signal can be anywhere within the frequency band (400M to 4G) with a modulation/signal bandwidth of no more than 250MHz.  Again, isn't that still require broadband match?

Thanks.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2010, 6:30am

You are just about there.
I'm trying to say that if the Ron of switches are small then the impedance of the IF filter will be upconverted to the RF frequency and vice versa such that, except for a possible scaling factor, you can treat the problem as matching at RF to the IF filter impedance or attempt to select the IF filter impedance such that the RF match is achieved. In either case, you should not necessarily to resort to resistive loading to help achieve the match.

Now if the mixer was active then you would need to use resistors to load the IF because the RF input and IF output would be electrically isolated through the transistors. A passive mixer connects the RF to the IF through the periodic switching action of the mixer, so KCL/KVL has to be balanced on both sides. It is just more complicated because now you have to balance components that are converted in frequency due to the periodic switching.

Hope this helps.

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2011, 11:13pm

Hi RFICDUDE,

Thank you very much for all your help.  I think I have enough to continue my sim.  Thankd again.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2011, 9:08am

RFICDUDE,

To add to your correct assessment of the impedance at the IF.  In the past I also noticed that a baseband impedance can be superimposed back to the RF input.  Based on this observation  I experimented with different types of baseband impedances for example a series LC in parallel with a real load and I was able to observe the filter being being superimposed back to the RF input which was interesting because the effective Q was relatively high as a fractional bandwidth to LO frequency although filtering greater then 6 to 10 dB was all I could achieve in simulation (I never actually built the filter part since the inductors would be enormous).  Concluding that the filtering is only a result of mismatch outside of the superimposed baseband  bandwidth I realized that impedance at the RF Source could negate some of these desired effects.  

Another point is that if an impedance at baseband can be seen at the RF then a signal at baseband can be seen at the the RF and thus noise at baseband can be seen at the RF.  Passive mixers suffer from being bidirectional and the noise at baseband will get mixed up to RF as a double sideband noise per I or Q and then get remixed down on the opposite quadrature and this is vice versa as well.  In the end I tried to decipherer this mechanism from sim results and concluded that this enigma was beyond simple to me and I just wanted to be sure that it was accounted for in my sim results which seemed to match measured within a margin of error.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2011, 6:47pm

Hi Rfcooltools

Quote:
Passive mixers suffer from being bidirectional and the noise at baseband will get mixed up to RF as a double sideband noise per I or Q and then get remixed down on the opposite quadrature and this

Can you explain why it gets remixed to the opposite quadrature?

Your observation is very original and most interesting, i want to say. I thought a little bit on this and came to the following conclusion (which could be faulty) - the baseband noise(or signal) gets upconverted to RF and then downconverted to baseband; the downconverted noise again gets upconverted and downconverted - this process goes on indefinitely.

If i represent Q as the baseband signal and assume a conversion gain of -3dB for both upconversion and downconversion, at the first downconversion, the baseband signal increases by Q/4, the second downconversion Q/16 and so on (there would be some phase shift as well)

Adding all the signals (ignoring phase shifts) up we get
Q+ Q/4 +Q/16 + Q/64 .. a converging infinite series that sums to

Q.4/3

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2011, 9:40pm

Hi vp1953,

I believe noise conversion  has a lot to do with the baseband receiver circuitry and the how the RF is split to I and Q.  Let me try and formulate a reasonable example.... if at base band you where to use two opamps with feedback to provide a certain final gain then there will be a noise associated with each at its input uncorrelated with the other.  This is due to the noise at the opamp output being feedback to the input with the sign reversed and depends on the feed back factor and the amount of noise at its output.  
If the RF is actively split (good reverse isolation) then there will be very little issue.  But if it is passively split then the noise of one opamp for example the I will be seen at the input of the opamp at Q through the mechanism  described.  Depending on the level of noise above the thermal noise floor the effect can be neglect-able to observable.   As you said the conversion up and back down has loss and this will put a bound on it.  But remember a opamps own noise is cancelled through its own feedback, but noise from the other will be amplified upon conversion.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2011, 3:25pm

Hi Rfcooltools,

Thank you for your explanation. I see what you were getting at.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.