The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:35pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
achievable IIP3 for cmos passive mixer (Read 22531 times)
kelly
Community Member

achievable IIP3 for cmos passive mixer
Jan 03rd, 2011, 10:11pm

Hi all,

Can someone comment on the achievable IIP3 for a cmos passive mixer (just the fets switching pairs)?  I am using 65nm process with LO power of 17dBm and pretty big FET sizes.  The FETs are also biased at sub-threhold at DC.  I can't seem to get IIP3 higher than 21dBm over pvt (it's more like 20 to 21dBm).  But from reading some papers, it sems that I should be able to get much higher IIP3 with LO>15dBm.  

Did I miss something?

Thanks.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: achievable IIP3 for cmos passive mixer
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2011, 3:05pm

The numbers you are getting seem reasonable from what I have seen.

What references are you seeing higher IIP3?

The primary 3rd order contributor is Ids nonlinearity as Vds increases, so anything you can do to minimize Ron should help to reduce nonlinearity (wider device, optimized LO drive and proper gate bias).

Also, make sure you are using a model that properly models nonlinearity at Vds_dc=0V. BSIM used to have some discotinuous functions around Vds=0 that yielded bogus linearity results. The PSP model used continous functions through Vds=0 and yield more reliable results. Although, maybe the BSIM model has been updated (I don't know).

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2011, 6:28am

Hi,

just curious, +17 dBm seems to be quite high for the LO power. Is that into 50 ohm? That's something like 4 Vpk-pk into 50 ohm so I wonder how the transistor handles it.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2011, 11:38am

Hi RFICDUDE and Aaron,

Thanks for replying.  Sorry , I didn't make it clear, in oder to have LO of 17dBm, I do need to use the thick oxide devices that can tolerate a voltage up 2.5V across the oxide.  

When I use the qpss and qpac to get my IIP3 plot, I have the same problem as Aaron posted before, i.e., the 3order slope looks weired at low input level.  Since my IIP3 is around 20dBm, my slope starts to act funny below 0 dBm.  I did use the conservative setting for running qpss, but it didn't seem to change my results that much.  In general, the slope seem to look ok for the top 20 dB input range.  In another word, if the IIP3 is 25dBm, then the 3 order slope starts to behave funny below 5 dBm.  So if you try to extrapolate the IIP3 at Pin < 5dBm,  you get pretty lousy number, not to mention the slope looks all wrong.

Do you guys think this is a simulation/modeling problem?  Or in reality, the IIP3 is that bad at the low input level?

Thanks much.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2011, 2:37pm

Hi Kelly,

I was just curious - what are the DC bias values at the RF and IF ports?

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2011, 5:54pm

Hi Vp1953,

The RF and IF are biasd  at 400mV to 600mV below the LO port (just right before the threshold).  I was  able to get pretty good conversion loss around -3ish over corner.  But my NF is around 8dB.  Any idea why the NF is not closer to the CL?  Is it just all device noise?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2011, 10:12pm

Hi Kelly,

it would help a lot if you showed us the schematic and the IIP3 simulation results. But if you don't want to, I understand. Anyway, for the NF, why don't you print a noise summary to see which devices are the main contributers to the output noise. You may find that one of the big contributers is not something you expect. Also, I guess you are talking about single-sideband NF?

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2011, 12:12am

Not sure whether the attachment will show up

ip3_gnd.png
View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2011, 12:14am

OK, I guess I don't know how to attach more than one files, so I'll just do them separately.  Here is the top level test bench with LO and RF ports

top.png
View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2011, 12:16am

Here is the how the FETS are biased.  The resistor divider provides VCC/2 for the Gate.  The sources and drains are bias to a voltage thats 400mV below the gate (via the 4 resistors that are connected together)

top2.png
View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2011, 12:17am

Here are the FET switches.  They are 10u/0.26u with M=40 each !

top4.png
View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2011, 12:26am

Hi Aaron,

I looked at the noise summary they looks ok, no big surprise.  The top contributer is the 50 ohms inside the port.  The the 4 FETs.  If I take the input referred divided by the 4kt(50)/4 (4 is due to the resistor divider form by the 50 ohms source and the 50 ohms to ground at the RF port), I get roughly 8dB which is the same as the NF from Pnoise sim.  Yes, I am looking at SSB.

I did notice that there is a slight difference between the conversion loss (-2.85 dB) vs the transfer function from the NF calculation (around -4dB).  Don't know why the difference, but even with CL=-4, the NF is still 4 dB higher.

Do you usually see a much closer relationship between CL and NF?

Thanks.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2011, 12:50am

OK, this is the IIP3 sim with the same setting and everything as the 1st one I posted earlier, except the FET switches subs are connected to it's respective source (instead of ground).  So I expect the IIP3 to improve, which it does, due to smaller threshold voltage.  But I don't understand why it craps out at higher input level and the slope seems to look even funkier at lower input level.  Do you think this is real, or just simulation?  Maybe it's not good to have the sub tie to the source (where the RF is comming in)?

Sorry about all the long questions.  I am new at this.  Really appreciate all the help from everyone.

Thanks.
Kelly

ip3_ss.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2011, 5:08am

This is probably the problem that RFICDUDE mentioned earlier.

See: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=1358719

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #14 - Jan 7th, 2011, 9:36am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the paper.

The paper shows that the problem shows up when the IM3 exhibit a slope of 2 insted of 3.  The fact that I do get a portion of slope of 3 just not at lower input level for the 1st plot, does that indicate maybe the problem I am having is differernt?  

The 2nd IIP3 plot with the device bulk tied to drain also have a small region where the slope is right, just not a very wide range.  This one I don't know whether is the model probelm, or I can't tie the bulk to RF with the big swing.........

Has anyone seen what I am seeing before?

Thanks.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.