The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 4th, 2024, 5:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
why we don't use simple diodes to build BGR (Read 9841 times)
nus_lin
Community Member

why we don't use simple diodes to build BGR
Jan 12th, 2011, 4:20am

dear guys, the bjt used in bandgap reference is actually diodes, so why don't we just use nwell-diodes, or n+p- diodes?

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Re: why we don't use simple diodes to build BGR
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2011, 6:47am

BJT model is more accurate so simulation results will look more like the real thing.

View Profile   IP Logged
nus_lin
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2011, 6:07pm

that convince me partially.

if diode makes no difference to bjt in a reality, the foundry could offer a better model!!!

so that can't be the reason.

View Profile   IP Logged
nus_lin
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2011, 6:18pm

i figure out a possible explanation.

if we look at their voltage drop, you will see that Vbe(bjt)<Vbe(Nwell diode)<Vbe(N+p- diode), under the same current density. if you look at the serial resistance, bjt should be better than both nwell diode and N+p- diode.

i think beta helps a lot. R_eq_c=R_b/beta, where  R_b is the base resistance, R_eq_C is an equivalent resistor in parallel with the resistance of the collector itself, which should be much smaller than R_b, due to the large area of collector.

View Profile   IP Logged
nus_lin
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2011, 6:19pm

here are other explanations:

in Wiley Sansens design essentials (slide 165, page 457) :

"A bandgap reference voltage uses a bipolar transistor, connected as a diode. Its current-voltage
expression is then quite accurately given by the exponential. A real pn-junction may have a
coefficient of 1.05–1.1 in front of the kT/q; a bipolar-transistor connected as a diode does not"

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2011, 12:00am

Uhm the BJT model also includes the substrate current, since it is a three terminal device, while an ordinary diode has 2 terminals. So you can model it more properly. In layout it is basically the same thing.

Beta is a number between 1-5 for these kind of BJT. Base resistance is quite unpredictable, and the low beta won't change much.

View Profile   IP Logged
nus_lin
Community Member

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2011, 12:20am

current BGR circuit is evolved from the old technology, where the beta is greater than 20. that makes a huge difference.

for technologies below .13node, i think diode may be better than bjt in terms of area saving.

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2011, 12:34am

CMOS bandgaps exist for quite some time, and they don't rely on a high beta.

Concerning the "area saving". The substrate tap is just a small ring around it. By the way, the amplifier part of the BGR also needs to be quite large to get decent matching etc. So any gain from the standpoint of area is very marginal.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2011, 1:29am

nus_lin wrote on Jan 12th, 2011, 4:20am:
dear guys, the bjt used in bandgap reference is actually diodes, so why don't we just use nwell-diodes, or n+p- diodes?

Why should the foundry bother to model one more device (a diode) when it already is modelling a BJT, which is anyway part of the design kit? Since a BJT may be used for other things and not just as a diode, it is also modelled much more extensively as pointed out by the others.

Anyway, you never have plain diodes in any process. There are always other parasitic diodes which you need to model anyway.

Also, the BJT layout is usually well-defined and fixed.

If you decide to use a perfectly good BJT to make a diode, then that's your decision. It is also possible to make excellent bandgaps where the BJT C-B junction is not shorted out.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2011, 9:48pm

The series resistance is a non-ideal effect that is a limiting factor with a simple diode (whish is really just a pnp in most cases anyway). On the other hand, with a pnp, the IR drop across the resistance is reduced by a factor of β.

That said, I just stumbled across a pn diode in an IBM 0.18um process that is designed for bandgaps and is good across several orders of magnitude current -- much better than a substrate pnp. So they are used, and in this case they seem to be a better choice.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
nus_lin
Community Member

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2011, 11:22pm

thanks, alex, and robg, the discussion becomes interesting.

i have to confess that i was wrong about the advantage of bjt over diode. actually, a BGR circuit requires a diode that can be forward biased. that leaves us one only choice--p+ diode over nwell, which is nothing but a bjt.

actually, i had more to share. the simulated ptat output (based on an ideal resistor) is actually proportional to T-(2E-4)*(T-300)^2, and is nothing to do with the area ratio and the current density (except for a very low current or very high current). i am also curious to find out why

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2011, 12:52pm

You can use the diodes, not a problem, but the collector tied to substrate PNP is commonly used if someone has developed a proper model for it.

PN junction models are often not properly modeled with spreading resistance and similar.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2011, 7:50pm

Schottky diodes can also be used.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2011, 3:56pm

Dan Clement wrote on Oct 31st, 2011, 7:50pm:
Schottky diodes can also be used.

Most standard CMOS does not include that.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.