The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:39pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
on chip LC filter (Read 11111 times)
kelly
Community Member

on chip LC filter
Feb 14th, 2011, 1:32pm

Hi All,

Most of the LC filter calculator needs the termination resistances at input and output.  Do you need that if you were to design the filter on chip?  Or how do you design an on chip LC low pass if the output of the filter goes into a high impddance node?

Thanks.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Re: on chip LC filter
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2011, 5:38pm

For a Hi-Z output driving another Hi-Z input, you typically want to buffer it.
ie, buffer Amp, or maybe a simple Source Follower, depending on your situation.

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2011, 9:13am

Hi Kelly,

If the output of the filter is connnected to a high impedance node and this node is onchip without the signal travelling a significant distance, then you can just connect it directly assuming of course that this high impedance node does not load your filter.

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2011, 11:19am

Hi VP1953.

But how do you decide the LC values if the filter output is connected to a high impedance?   Say I calculate the LC values for RS=50 and RL=100.  When I use that set of values and desconnect the RL (which is the same as connecting the filter output to a high impedance node), the filter peaks by around 10dB.   I assume it's because the LC values are not chosen for RL=infinite.  But if you look at the equations, the L will go infinite for RL=infinite.  That's where I am stucked.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2011, 2:27pm

Hi Kelly,

Why not set RL to whatever value that gives the desired filter response and then connect the high impedance node to RL (which hopefully will not impact the filter) - there is no need to completely remove RL?

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2011, 5:32pm

Hi VP1953,

It's basically noise.  There is a noise requirement for the stage (it's a VGA) after the filter.  The VGA input is biased to a voltage through pull up resistors, and they are in the Kohms range for minimum noise.  So as far as the filter is concern, the Rl is pretty high.  Not to mention the corner of the LC filter needs to be around 500MHz, so the inductor is huge.  Since I am not too familiar with the LC filter, I am not sure whether you can build the LC for a infinite RL condition.  

I guess you are saying the LC filter needs to be designed with a specific RL then?  If that's the case, I can look at what's the maximum R VGA can use (trade that off with the noise) and design the filter based on that R then.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2011, 7:53pm

Well, the first question is why do you want to perform LC filtering on chip?

Inductors are big and somewhat lossy for frequencies below 3GHz. A single LC resonant tank is easy enough to deal with, but designing coupled LC tanks is not common for integrated RF designs. The losses are significant to the point that it is not worthwhile to consider higher order on chip LC filters.

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2011, 10:41pm

To filter out te LO+RF from the mixer before it goes to the on chip VGA.  Originally, the mixer out just goes straight to VGA (high input impedance), now if I need a LC low pass filter in between, it kind of force a specific termination on both ends. Doesn't that also introduces voltage loss too?  Since the the input of VGA is no longer high impedance , but say 100 or 200 ohms (to keep the L reasonable).  Is there a better way to filter out the LO+RF?

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2011, 10:56pm

Hi Kelly!

What is the problem with designing a single terminated LC filter with high-Z load? I got this from FilterFree from Nuhertz.

As you say, the inductor value will be huge. Of course depending on the source resistor, but anyway high. Can you use a single pole RC filter instead?

cheb3.png
View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2011, 11:54pm

Hi rfidea,

Nothing that's what I need!  I just didn't know how to do it.  All the papers I saw are using remination on both ends.

Can you please send me the link or papers on this, thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2011, 10:33am

Sure, its a free version of a filter program from Nuhertz. The Filter Free program is free.

http://www.filter-solutions.com/

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2011, 5:58pm

Hi RFidea,

Thanks.  I simulated the one you posted, the output looks really peaky (>5dB).  Maybe I am not looking at this right?
Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2011, 6:18pm

sorry my bad, it looks fine now.  Thanks.

By the way, the just an RC doesn't give me enough rejection at 1G.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2011, 6:22pm

Your original post was regarding onchip LC.
If the inductor is on chip then the Q will be very low at 500MHz (2 or less).

The series resistance will be (assuming a Q=2 at 600MHz) about 65 ohms and the self resonant frequency will likely be around 1GHz.

So under these conditions is the filter still useful?

You could consider an offchip inductor where the Q will be much better, but then you have to offchip and back onchip.

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2011, 4:52pm

Hi RFICDUDE,

yeah, you are right about the practicality of the actual implementation.  

I was hoping the inductor need not be that big.  It seems like if I use the single terminated case that RFidea has, with a smaller RS, say 25ohms, the inductor can be 4 times smaller.  I actually need the corner to be around 400M, so that'll incease the inductance too.

I am still waiting for the filter program place to send me the trial version.  Has not heard from them..........

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.