The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 1:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6 X supply voltage seen on RF FET drain (Read 118 times)
daveC

6 X supply voltage seen on RF FET drain
Mar 01st, 2011, 11:56am

Hi I was wondering if someone can help me with an issue I don't understand.  On the output drain of an RF FET transmitting at a VHF frequency under exceptional circumstances, i.e. an open circuit I have measured with an oscilloscope 6 X the FET supply voltage pk-pk, it does not die down and is a steady RF oscillation.  I understand that poor mismatches can cause a standing reflected wave which can cause higher voltages but I don't understand how it is possible to achieve 6X the FET's supply voltage.  Any ideas, thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: 6 X supply voltage seen on RF FET drain
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2011, 4:06pm

Reactive ringing of an inductance is probably whats happening.

Now, if there is an inductance that is getting given driven, that can be a steady state signal.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Re: 6 X supply voltage seen on RF FET drain
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:39pm

If the Fet is oscillating  usually it  will start to draw more current then normal operation this is one factor you should be aware of since depending on the Q of the load the bias current can run up.  Also note that the circulating current in a resonant load (typically called a tank circuit) fed by a transistor in oscillation can be significantly larger than the transistor bias current, especially if the Q is high.   It is this circulating current multiplied with the equivalent parallel Resistance that sets the voltage.   So the higher the Q the higher the voltage due to higher current and higher parallel equivalent resistance.  

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.