The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 12:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Contribution statement (Read 4488 times)
elecky mess

Contribution statement
Mar 24th, 2011, 10:43am

Hello, I'm a newbie to Verilog-AMS, and what I am currently trying to do is to assign some value for a voltage at a port or across a branch in some given condition. For example, my Verilog-A code would be like

Code:
parameter real c = 1.2;
analog begin

@( condition 1 )
V(a,b) <+ c;

if ( condition 2 )
V(a,b) <+ 0;

end 

I actually made something similar to this, and tried to simulate it in Cadence Hierarchy Editor. It uses NC Verilog simulator, right? But whenever I tried simulation, I got errors and they all pointed the lines where "<+" operators were used. The error messages were like

Code:
" ../veriloga.va line xx: Encountered a contribution statement embedded in an analog event.
Remove the contribution statement from the analog event." 

Here I got confused. As far as I know, a contribution statement can actually be used only in an analog event, and it is used to assign an expression to a voltage or a current at a port or branch. I think any real number or any parameter as used in my code is a legitimate expression. If I am right, what's wrong with my code?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Contribution statement
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2011, 5:08am

[quote author=eleckymess link=1300988590/0#0
Code:
@( condition 1 )
V(a,b) <+ c;
end 

[/quote]

The "@" is what makes this an analog event.

Quote:
It uses NC Verilog simulator, right?

NC Verilog is a digital Verilog simulator; you are using AMS, so I think you probably have Spectre running this module.

Quote:
Here I got confused. As far as I know, a contribution statement can actually be used only in an analog event, and it is used to assign an expression to a voltage or a current at a port or branch. I think any real number or any parameter as used in my code is a legitimate expression. If I am right, what's wrong with my code?

You may be thinking digitally.  The analog block of an AMS module is evaluated at every timepoint of the transient analysis.  On some of those timepoints, the @(analog_event) will fire, and the simulator would try to make the contribution, but on other timepoints, what do you want to happen?

You probably want something like
Code:
@(initial_step)
  vout = 0;
@( condition1)
  vout = c;

V(a,b) <+ transition(vout);

where now, the contribution is not conditional: it always establishes a voltage-source branch between a and b, but the voltage it enforces varies.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.