The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 3:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
best RF PA Floorplan location (Read 1598 times)
makelo
Community Member

Hillsboro, OR
best RF PA Floorplan location
Mar 30th, 2011, 9:57am

I would like to hear peoples thoughts about the best location for an RF power amplifier in an SoC.  

I am floorplanning an RF transceiver with a power amplifier that sinks ~350mWatt of quiescent power.  I can place the PA either in the corner of the die or in the middle along one edge.  Which is best?

In both locations there is plenty of room for multiple ground and Vdd bondwires.  The CMOS SoC is somewhat large and contains considerable digital real estate.  My main concern is about die stress, reliability and getting the heat out.  Is one location better than the other for these issues?

Thanks,
Makelo

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: best RF PA Floorplan location
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2011, 7:06pm

model in your bonding and package impedances - all power and ground pins- with that you are going to see the PA do some pretty crazy things to the power-ground-substrate

Go from there.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.