The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 11:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
using inductor near self resonance (Read 2883 times)
kelly
Community Member

using inductor near self resonance
Apr 06th, 2011, 10:36pm

Hi,

ususally in a GHz vco design, the inductor is on the order of <500ph with very high Q, and the frequency operation is way below the self resonance of the inductor.  

In the case of an on chip low pass LC filter with f3dB ~300MHz, the inductor value is usually >10nH with the self resonance no higher than couple GHz.  Does that mean, I can't trust the simulated AC response highers than the inductor self resonant frequency?

I guess my question is
1.  What's reason for operating inductor below it's resonance for the high Q inductor (such as in the vco case)
2.  Is the reason for #1 applies to the case when you have a big inductor ( low Q) in the range of 10 - 20 nH?

Thanks.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: using inductor near self resonance
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2011, 4:48am

Kelly,

Your inductor shows a rising impedance vs. frequency only below the self-resonance point. In other words, it acts like an inductor when you are well away from this point. If you start to get closer to self-resonance, then you would atleast need to use a more detailed model which captures the various parasitic caps and resistances.

Based on this, you can see whether or not your inductor is still usable.

Vivek

kelly wrote on Apr 6th, 2011, 10:36pm:
Hi,

ususally in a GHz vco design, the inductor is on the order of <500ph with very high Q, and the frequency operation is way below the self resonance of the inductor.  

In the case of an on chip low pass LC filter with f3dB ~300MHz, the inductor value is usually >10nH with the self resonance no higher than couple GHz.  Does that mean, I can't trust the simulated AC response highers than the inductor self resonant frequency?

I guess my question is
1.  What's reason for operating inductor below it's resonance for the high Q inductor (such as in the vco case)
2.  Is the reason for #1 applies to the case when you have a big inductor ( low Q) in the range of 10 - 20 nH?

Thanks.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Re: using inductor near self resonance
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2011, 9:40am

Kelly,

In addition to the variation of unwanted parasitic capacitance and hence the self-resonant frequency that vivkr mentioned, there is the case of what is commonly called loaded Q.  If you where to load an ideal (infinite Q) parallel tank with a parallel resistor you will find that the highest loaded Q occurs when the inductor is the smallest and the capacitor is the biggest.  In practice there is not an infinite Q inductor or capacitor and therefore it is not that straight forward.  Also on chip components further obscure this by making the Q of the inductor heavily dependent on the geometry of the metal used and area used to make the best Q comes at a cost.  You have a multi-variable optimization problem that is not easy to explain by saying one way is better than another.  With that said operating the VCO with an inductor at self resonance is risky because if the modelling is incorrect or all parasitics are not accounted for which you should expect to be the case, then there is no varactor voltage that will ever allow you to obtain the desired frequency.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.