The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 1:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BJT Common-Collector (CC) and Common-Base (CB) at RF Frequency ? (Read 4166 times)
jianke

BJT Common-Collector (CC) and Common-Base (CB) at RF Frequency ?
Apr 15th, 2011, 10:09am

With the help of the low-frequency h-parameter model, we know that a Common-Collector (CC) amplification circuit amplify current (i.e. voltage gain is about “1”), and a Common-Base (CB) amplification circuit amplify voltage (i.e. current gain is about “1”).

At RF frequency (e.g. 2GHz), RF small-signal model has to be used for the junction capacitance and feedback effect of the BJT transistor. I want to know at this frequency, whether the CC or CB amplification circuit has the same function, just like at low frequency. For example, at 2GHz frequency, a CC amplifier amplify current (voltage gain is about “1”), and a CB amplifier amplify voltage (current gain is about “1”).

I checked several references but can't find the analysis of CC or CB amplification circuit at RF frequency. Doesn't anyone have an idea or any references? Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: BJT Common-Collector (CC) and Common-Base (CB) at RF Frequency ?
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2011, 11:03am

jianke wrote on Apr 15th, 2011, 10:09am:
With the help of the low-frequency h-parameter model, we know that a Common-Collector (CC) amplification circuit amplify current (i.e. voltage gain is about “1”), and a Common-Base (CB) amplification circuit amplify voltage (i.e. current gain is about “1”).

You are right with the above statements, however, inorder to avoid misunderstandings you should realize that you, of course, could have circuits that amplify currents as well as voltages. Therefore, your formulation in brackets "i.e." ("that means") is not correct and can be misleading.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
jianke

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2011, 7:32pm

Yes, we can design a circuit to amplify current as well as voltage, just like the Common-Emitter (CE) configuration. Maybe my description is a little confused, please allow me clarify my question here.
(1) At 2GHz frequency, whether the Common-Collector (CC) circuit can amplify the current, and its voltage gain is about “1”. -- Yes or No ?
(2) At 2GHz frequency, whether the Common-Base (CB) circuit can amplify the voltage, and its current gain is about “1”. – Yes or No ?

Could you please also give me some reasons? Best Regards!

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2011, 1:37am

Without detailed and specific investigations I would answer your question as follows:
*Even for lower frequencies some simplifications, minor effects and parasitics are neglected, thereby allowing your statements "about 1" (for the voltage or current gain, respectively.
* In principle, this approximation holds also for higher frequencies, however, the error by neglecting all these parasitic influences will be certainly larger.
* In summary, it depends on the error that can be accepted by you resp. your application if such statements are appropriate or not.
(Example: 0.99 can be regarded as app. "1"; does this hold also for 0.95 ? I don`t know).

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
purplewolf

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2011, 2:04pm

jianke wrote on Apr 15th, 2011, 7:32pm:
Yes, we can design a circuit to amplify current as well as voltage, just like the Common-Emitter (CE) configuration. Maybe my description is a little confused, please allow me clarify my question here.
(1) At 2GHz frequency, whether the Common-Collector (CC) circuit can amplify the current, and its voltage gain is about “1”. -- Yes or No ?
(2) At 2GHz frequency, whether the Common-Base (CB) circuit can amplify the voltage, and its current gain is about “1”. – Yes or No ?

Could you please also give me some reasons? Best Regards!

The answer is yes....The fundamental principle are always obeyed unless you do some mistake in simulation envirnonment or in ur schematic

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.