The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 11:33am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
why is this inductor necessary for dipole antenna? (Read 2305 times)
liletian
Community Member

MD
why is this inductor necessary for dipole antenna?
Apr 17th, 2011, 7:59pm

Hi Guys
   In TI CC2430 product, their chips have a differential output. They provides two solution for dipole antenna and monopoly antenna each.
   For the dipole antenna, I am wondering why L321 in the attached pic? What is the purpose? ALso, why do they also need L331 to connect DC and middle of the dipole?

Second, for the monopoly antenna solution, can anyone explain the matching network? Basically I am wondering how can they get the network?

Finally, in those day, people are unlikely to use off-chip discrete components, what is the reason for that?
   I am thinking it is because of the price. Also, even off-chip discrete component has better electrical quality , but it will be hard to model the connection parasitics. Are those the two reasons people try to avoid off-chip components?
   Thanks

cc2430.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
afridi

Re: why is this inductor necessary for dipole antenna?
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2011, 1:53pm

Hi,

What i think is that these inductors and capacitive networks are used to remove the imaginary part of the impedance of the dipole or monopole antennas and match it to the real output impedance of the I.C. pins. It also can be catering for the imaginary part of the impedance at the output of the I.C. pins which are also not purely resistive loads.

The discrete  off-chip components today are very accurate but always prone to size issues .As the frequency of the circuit operation increases the connecting strip-lines or microstrip lines are becoming smaller and smaller and hence the off-chip components are way too large in size and prone to parasitic effects. Hence we can use microstrip based inductive and capacitive networks for impedance matching which can take much more area than a discrete component.But in majority applications  values of capacitance and inductance are only realistically achievable by using off chip discrete components.

Regards

The more things you do, the more you can do.(Lucille Ball)
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.