The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cadence Varactor's Simulation (Read 1038 times)
pcardoso73

Portugal
Cadence Varactor's Simulation
May 06th, 2011, 2:32am

Dear all,

I would like to obtain the c-v and Q curves for a varactor. How can I do this ?

Best regards,
Pedro

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Cadence Varactor's Simulation
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2011, 8:54am

Take a look at http://www.designers-guide.org/Modeling/varactors.pdf. Listing 2 shows how to plot C versus V.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pcardoso73

Portugal
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2011, 1:46pm

Thanks a lot Ken. You are the master, so I am very grateful for you to answer this small question.
Well the thing was a bit the other way around, I was reading your document, and I thought that would be a good idea to plot those curves to the technology I am using (130 nm IBM). So my doubt is how to accurate simulate it ? I just did an AC analysis, and got current and capacitance. The rest was done in Matlab.

Another completely different question about Spectre. I am simulating a Crystal VCO on the tree inversion regions. As the BJT has much better behavior than the MOS relating to 1/f noise, I thought that it should be equivalent to weak inversion in MOS (exponential law as well). Simulating this in spectre gives a much better jitter and phase noise in the strong inversion. How can this be explained ? Just the extra amount of power spent justifies this.

I appreciate a lot that you have taken a bit of your time to answer to my post.

Thanks a lot.
Best regards,
Pedro

View Profile   IP Logged
purplewolf

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2011, 2:05pm

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.