The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 11:44am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
0.13um Tape out (fabrication) check list (Read 2289 times)
nadroit

0.13um Tape out (fabrication) check list
May 17th, 2011, 4:30pm

Hi
I will be fabricating a chip in TSMC 0.13um. Chip has RF front end working at 3.1-10.6GHz. This is my 1st tape out and I would like to know all the things I should be careful off before fabrication. I have done DRC and LVS which is clean. Also I have done RLC Extraction and post extraction simulations. What other things I should be doing? Should I be worried about EMI,EMC,ESD? Please let me know

Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Re: 0.13um Tape out (fabrication) check list
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2011, 5:00pm

nadroit,

To many things to mention, but as a colleague of mine once said simulate any "career  limiting" events.  ESD and latchup are forgivable events, but startup, incorrect logic hookup, unwanted oscilations, non oscilations when wanted.  These are the things that can reduce the momentum of ones career discredit a small company.

1. Simulate supply ramp up from zero to full dc
2. Transient steady state with no signal, then a supply step transient, then wait to see if an oscilation appears.
3. Verify that communication from the comms interface is seen at the destination of intended logic.

There are many specific to your architecture sims that are not as general as this, hope this helps.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
nadroit

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2011, 6:00pm

Thanks for the reply. Please tell me if I do not implement ESD circuit then can my IC work? does ESD has anything to do with operating requency? Also I have never implemented ESD circuits can you please tell me some resources?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2011, 6:38pm

nadroit,

If you don't have any ESD circuitry then I would not tape out until you do. 0.13uM oxide is thin and could breakdown during the sawing up of the wafer just from the friction, long before you have parts in hand.  There are two standard components for ESD protection.

1.Two reverse biased diodes between supply and ground connected to the signal leaving the IC
2. Supply clamp

It is common for the ESD for high frequency IO's to have a limited protection, ie smaller diodes, but some protection is required.   check your design kit documentation, most foundries provide some standard ESD.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
nadroit

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2011, 1:12pm

Thanks for the reply. What about EMI and EMC? should I worry about that?

Thanks again

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2011, 5:45pm

ESD in an RF front end is a big part of the system.

You must have ESD
However, ESD can effect the performance of an RF front end in a big way

If you have never taped a chip out, you need to partner with an experienced designer for some guidance. Without that it could be an expensive learning experience.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #6 - May 18th, 2011, 5:51pm

nadroit wrote on May 18th, 2011, 1:12pm:
Thanks for the reply. What about EMI and EMC? should I worry about that?

Thanks again

EMI is generally part of a structured noise solution. If you are doing an RF front end, and it is on a mixed signal chip, then you will probably have the digital and mixed signal part of the IC coupled into the RF front end.

EMC can mean many different things - inside of a medical device, there is a very well defined set of test to determine if the design is EMC compliant. Other applications have very different sets of requirements for EMC.

Where are you located? This is stuff I do on a regular basis for companies on the west coast of the US.

Jerry Twomey
philcorb

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2011, 12:41am

Hi,

If you are using a MPW company for the tapeout, it is often a good idea to ask them to fully check the design too.  My experience is that if you specifically ask, they will run DRC, ERC, etc.  It is always good to have a second check.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2011, 1:24pm

philcorb wrote on Jun 10th, 2011, 12:41am:
Hi,

If you are using a MPW company for the tapeout, it is often a good idea to ask them to fully check the design too.  My experience is that if you specifically ask, they will run DRC, ERC, etc.  It is always good to have a second check.  

Generally that gets done before E-beam of reticles...

Jerry Twomey
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2011, 1:41am

This is interesting ... as far as I know the TSMC 0.13 do come with some ESD cells (diodes and clamps).

Are you going through MPW ?

Here are a few more general tips :-
a) Power supply routing - ensure low resistance and wide enough tracks
b) Metal fill ... some foundries put them in for you ... usually where you don't want them. Specify keepout areas. At 10GHz, it may be significant.
c) Biasing ... biasing ... biasing. Ensure your bias startup circuits DO startup (and do not oscillate). If you have space, put in some means for external biasing. Note that in the beta multiplier, if you take the degeneration resistor off chip, you run the risk of oscillating it due to excess parasitic cap.
d) Device and Via Spares - make sure you have some scattered around empty spaces. You may need to use them in a metal re-spin.

the list goes on ...

ps : hope you have not taped out yet !

View Profile   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2011, 1:46am

two more things ...

e) if you have a digital block with registers etc ... make sure you have some means of turning different blocks on or off, and also changing biasing currents/spare configurations.
f) think of how you are going to test the functionality of every individual block, esp if one block is not working. (e.g. if LNA is not working, how do you test the VCO, dividers etc ...)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.