The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 29th, 2024, 1:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PMOS and NMOS output resistance (Read 8991 times)
surreyian

PMOS and NMOS output resistance
May 18th, 2011, 1:39am

Hello all,

the output resistance is given as
1) satuation region, R=1/(Lamda*Id).
2) linear region, R=1/[u.Cox.(w/l).(vgs-vth)]

In these cases, PMOS will have higher outout resistance as PMOS has lower mobility and Id. Is my understanding correct?

However in Razavi's design of analog CMOS integrated circuit, chapter 2. It states that for given dimensions and bias current, NMOS has higher output resistance. How does this statement come about?

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: PMOS and NMOS output resistance
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2011, 8:29am

surreyian wrote on May 18th, 2011, 1:39am:
Hello all,

In these cases, PMOS will have higher outout resistance as PMOS has lower mobility and Id. Is my understanding correct?

However in Razavi's design of analog CMOS integrated circuit, chapter 2. It states that for given dimensions and bias current, NMOS has higher output resistance. How does this statement come about?

I've never investigated this issue, but output impedance is only important in the saturated region, and there is no mobility term in your equation for that region. [edit - sorry, mobility is in the Id term, I see what you are saying about how the PMOS should have high Rds]

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2011, 8:21am by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2011, 8:02am

RobG wrote on May 18th, 2011, 8:29am:
surreyian wrote on May 18th, 2011, 1:39am:
Hello all,

I've never investigated this issue, but output impedance is only important in the saturated region, and there is no mobility term in your equation for that region.

Surreyian,
Note that for equal Id, the small signal resistance rds = 1/(Lambda*Id) depends on the constant, which is different for nMOS and pMOS.
Also note that you need more overdrive for the pMOS to achieve the same current assuming equal-sized MOS transistors - in this equation the mobility is hidden in the current.
B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
dxt78

Ohio
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2011, 8:09am

Razavi's statement does seems confusing, and there was some previous discussion on this here:

http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1115223850

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - May 19th, 2011, 11:33am

hi,
current depends on number of electrons passing through area per sec. So mobility indicates speed of the electrons but number of electrons also matter ..
Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
dxt78

Ohio
Reply #5 - May 19th, 2011, 9:19pm

raja.cedt wrote on May 19th, 2011, 11:33am:
hi,
current depends on number of electrons passing through area per sec. So mobility indicates speed of the electrons but number of electrons also matter ..
Thanks.

I thought from RobG's post we were assuming equal ID for the NMOS and PMOS.  This would address the "number of electrons" issue you bring up.  The output resistance would then be entirely dependent on lambda, which is a device level parameter that would depend on the doping of various regions right?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2011, 11:37pm

hi,
i agree but o/p resistance so called ro is not a device parameter, in fact its derived parameter just to indicate vds effect on current. have you added r0 noise in any simulation? the ans is no because its not physical resister which mainly depends on channel length.

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
dxt78

Ohio
Reply #7 - May 20th, 2011, 6:41am

raja.cedt wrote on May 19th, 2011, 11:37pm:
hi,
i agree but o/p resistance so called ro is not a device parameter, in fact its derived parameter just to indicate vds effect on current. have you added r0 noise in any simulation? the ans is no because its not physical resister which mainly depends on channel length.

Thanks.

Right I agree it's not a device level parameter.  But we are discussing which has a larger output resistance, NMOS or PMOS.  If the current through each is equal, then aren't differences in output resistances determined solely by lambda?

So I guess the question is what has a small lambda, NMOS or PMOS?  And what determine the lambda of a device?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.