The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:43pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
divider input waveform (Read 11221 times)
purplewolf

divider input waveform
May 27th, 2011, 3:58am

I want to design a integer N CML based divider for PLL. The VCO will be designed later. The output frequncy of VCO will be around 1.5 GHz. I want to know whether the input waveform for divider simulation should be a sine wave or a square wave. I strongly beleive that the output of divider is square wave which is input to PFD but not sure about input waveform.
If it is a square wave, how to generate such wave at high frequencies without noise performance.

View Profile   IP Logged
purplewolf

Re: divider input waveform
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2011, 8:13am

correction: without noise performance degradation

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2011, 6:21pm

Hi Purplewolf,

You are feeding the output of the VCO to the divider?If the VCO is LC tank based, then the output should be sinusoidal - it should be fine to feed this sinusoidal input to the input of the CML based divider.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2011, 6:06pm

vp1953 wrote on May 27th, 2011, 6:21pm:
Hi Purplewolf,

You are feeding the output of the VCO to the divider?If the VCO is LC tank based, then the output should be sinusoidal - it should be fine to feed this sinusoidal input to the input of the CML based divider.

if it is differential, and you are going to need to understand the output of the VCO a bit better.

1. It must be sinusoid if its an LC structure.
2. Divider system is going to effect noise/jitter performance in a big big way.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - May 29th, 2011, 6:59pm

hi purplewolf,
i want to add some thing to above points.
1. As far i know for for an cml divider if you give sufficient swing it's fine, for mosfet based divider you should have min swing is 1.414*Vov and for a bjt based structure 3 to 4 VT.
2.is vco signal is getting buffered by some level converter, because this is going to add jitter (because this is the general case for any vco which has provision for testing.)?

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
purplewolf

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2011, 2:10am

I have not yet designed VCO but I have seen in a document on sigma delta PLL with ring oscillator , that the output is buffered with 2-3 stage differential amplifier to transform it from small swing differential to cmos rail 2 rail and it is then fed as a clock signal to sigma delta modulator.
For my case i am designing integer N PLL. I just wonder why not give the divider rectangular signal by using the approach of inverters. Because, after all the output of divider is square waveform. And also, the divider is a sort of 'digital' circuit with synchronous, asynchrous parts and counters. I still dont get why we need to feed it with sine wave just because VCO is LC tank based or what?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - May 30th, 2011, 2:40am

hi,
but in your first post you said you are ging to design CML divider, now you are saying that it is simple digital circuit.

Thanks.

purplewolf

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2011, 2:53am

i am just calling CML divider  a sort of digital circuit. i take back my words Tongue

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #8 - May 30th, 2011, 9:20am

No man..be clear. CML is completely  different than cmos. So your divider is digital one so then whats he question of wave shape. You should use square wave by buffering VCO through some level converter.

Thanks.

purplewolf

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2011, 10:17am

It is CML based divider.  To be mor precise it is a dual modulus 8/9 prescaler using CML logic. i hope its  clear now

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2011, 5:52pm

Hi Purplewolf,

For dual modulus 8/9 prescaler that uses CML, input is sinusoidal and output can also be sinusoidal. You can of course convert the output of the VCO to a square wave to feed to the divider, but at much higher power consumption - why would you want to do this?

If you search around for some papers, you should find entire schematics for aCML 2/3 or 4/5 dual modulus prescalers, which can easily be extended to 8/9

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2011, 5:35pm

raja.cedt wrote on May 30th, 2011, 9:20am:
No man..be clear. CML is completely  different than cmos. So your divider is digital one so then whats he question of wave shape. You should use square wave by buffering VCO through some level converter.

Thanks.

Be gentle.....
Wink

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2011, 6:57pm

It sounds like a classical case of a digital guy talking to an analog guy, and neither understands the other.

First, if you have 1.5G, you'll probably need a special CML or buffer to get to CML for a couple divisions.  This will start as a sinusoid and be square after a divider or 2.  You need to define what frequency this is at.

Now, I'm not sure it makes sense (power wise) to continue dividing 8 or 9 times in CML.   While you could stay in CML --- you might be better off converting CML to CMOS, where you can run standard cells and RTL flow.

So again, I think the VCO and CML designer needs to step up first and give a spec as to what is getting divided at which frequency.
Ditto with the Refclk and input divider.

Wave
Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
purplewolf

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2011, 3:18am

I want to know whether the duty cycle of the output waveform of the divider, which is input to phase frequency detector, need to be 50%.  Is there any effect on loop performance if its not 50% although the period of output frequency is correct

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2011, 6:59pm

Hi Purplewolf,

For phase frequency detectors, generally they are edge triggered either positive or negative, so duty cycle is not important here.

For a pure phase detector (as in an XOR gate), duty cycle is very important.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.