The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 30th, 2024, 3:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
loop gain and stability for an LDO (Read 4609 times)
dxt78

Ohio
loop gain and stability for an LDO
Jun 20th, 2011, 9:46pm

I'm having trouble with a low dropout regulator.  I am trying to analyze its stability by breaking the feedback loop, injecting an ac signal, and analyzing the transfer function (tf=output/ac input).  But, the loop gain I get is always below 1.  Any suggestions?  Thanks very much.

Capture_001.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: loop gain and stability for an LDO
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2011, 10:56pm

hi,
is this regulator? show me the clear picture...

Tx

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2011, 1:16am

It's not so easy. Simply breaking (opening) the loop is not correct because the circuit looses its operating point. You must study some methods to simulate the loop gain correctly.
One simple and robust method (not 100% correct): Insert an ac source in series with the opamp output and display gain and phase for
the expression db(V(x)/V(y)).   Nodes X and y, respectively, are the nodes to the right and to the left from the ac source.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
dxt78

Ohio
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2011, 10:59am

Thanks for your feedback and help.  I'll try looking at the operating point more closely, and see if I can get things right.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2011, 4:52pm

getting proper stability in an LDO control loop is a bit messy - the output power pass transistor wiill change about 30dB in gain over the full operating range (triode to saturation) the ESR of the loading capacitor affects pole placement. Its not impossible, but it needs to be carefully examined for stability/gain/phase over all operating situations so you don't build an oscillator.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2011, 2:45pm

You have a pretty strange circuit there - the feedback path seems to be through the power supply of the amplifier, but there is nothing that would establish the DC operating points even if the amp output was connected to the gate of the PMOS.

In addition, I doubt if you want that PMOS bulk tied to gnd.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.