The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 11:40am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
input impedance of RLC tank, and characteristic impedance (Read 1397 times)
dxt78

Ohio
input impedance of RLC tank, and characteristic impedance
Jul 14th, 2011, 8:42am

Hello,
I have an RLC tank as shown in attachment (2R in parallel with an L and a C).  I have two questions about it:
1) Why is the characteristic impedance of this LC tank sqrt(L/C) and what meaning does it have?
2) When computing the input resistance of this tank, what role should the characteristic impedance play?
Thanks.

RLC.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: input impedance of RLC tank, and characteristic impedance
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2011, 8:57am

There is one single frequency wo=1/sqrt(LC) for which the reactive conductance of the capacitor and of the inductor (wC and 1/wL), respectively, are equal.
That means, at w=wo the input impedance of the whole circuit is zero.

Now the answer to your question:
If woC=1/woL you can insert the above expression for wo and you get:
woC=sqrt(C/L)   and  woL=sqrt(L/C).

In words: The characteristic impedance is the impedance of both reactive elements for w=wo (resonant frequency).

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2011, 7:08pm

Your tank circuit is not 100% realistic. It is not physical to have two ideal reactive components in series and then a loss in parallel with the series LC; although, maybe this is a practical equivalent that I have not considered before.

A tank is usually a parallel RLC or a completely series RLC. The circuit you present is a perfect short at f = 2*pi/sqrt(LC).

The characteristic impedance represents the lossless energy exchange between C and L while R should represent the power dissipation.

The characteristic impedance should not necessarily be tied directly to the resistance, but it may be indirectly related if the source of the resistance is the series resistance in the inductor.

Others can correct me if my interpretation is not the best for your question.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2011, 9:03pm

hello dxt78,
as RF id said it's not a tank circuit. General meaning of tank is LC parallel circuit which can give pure sinusoidal osculations @ 1/sqrt(LC). i guess here you drawn ckt wrongly i guess. When you wish to add loss into tank generally series with inductor and seris with capacitor  is good model. but here you have drawn LC seris circuit and then it has 2k // res. This ckt don't have any practical usage.

If you just want to know whats the characteristic impedance of your circuit, it is the frequency at which you will see 0 volts impedance

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2011, 12:12pm

dxt78,

By use of the term "characteristic impedance" I  assume that you mean "transmission line characteristic impedance".  For simplicity  ignore the 2R in your circuit because when connected the impedance is not sqrt(L/C) Im going to ignore it and show how a lossless t-line will result in the sqrt(L/C).  For this tline picture that you place a port at the left hand side L and another connected to the node that ties the L and C together.  

For an ideal transmission line with ideal source/load impedance Zout=Zin = Z0

Vin/(sL+Z0||1/sC) =  Vout/(sL+Z0)

Iin*((1/sC)||Z0)=Iout*((1/sC)||(sL+Zo))

Vin/In = Vout/iout = Z0

Solve for Z0 and it will equal sqrt(L/C)

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Larry_80
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2011, 10:20pm

This is in response to people suggesting the circuit is not a "realistic" tank circuit in RF. I completely disagree with this. A monolithic inductor can have a series parasitic capacitor associated with it and a parallel parasitic resistor depending on how the parasitic cap and resistors are modeled.

View Profile   IP Logged
purplewolf

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2011, 6:15am

infact the series LC structures are claaed harmonic traps rather than harmonic tanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2011, 3:51pm

dxt78,

What are you trying to achieve with this circuit of yours ? I presume it is a RF trap with some matching/loading ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.