The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 9th, 2024, 7:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
a ridiculous 'overshoot' (Read 4720 times)
chaojixin

Shanghai
a ridiculous 'overshoot'
Jul 26th, 2011, 6:43pm

I encounter a ridiculous 'overshoot' in a PGA design as shown in (B) which is  is quite different from the normal overshoot as shown in (C). the phase margin is enough (80 degree), and the opamp is a cascode + gain-boost structure. but when I reduce the W/L of input MOS pair and keep bias current  unchanged, the response of Vo becomes normal as shown in (D).  
what does this ridiculous 'overshoot' come from? is it something to do with the parameter setting of input MOS pair?

thanks!

_Microsoft_Visio__001.jpg
View Profile chaojixin chaojixin 278916917   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Re: a ridiculous 'overshoot'
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2011, 2:37am

First of all, let me ask u whether your transient repsonses are small signal, or large signal. For large signals, you might get some slewing effect in the way. If you simulated a small signal, I think this kind of overshoot should be predictable by AC analysis.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2011, 4:29pm

That looks like a zero in the transfer function not being cancelled exactly by a pole (i.e. a pole/zero doublet).

View Profile   IP Logged
chaojixin

Shanghai
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2011, 10:51pm

I forgot something: it is large signal response. the ridiculous 'overshoot' is only several mV and its location is very closed to steady state value. but it did slow down the setting up  

chaojixin wrote on Jul 26th, 2011, 6:43pm:
I encounter a ridiculous 'overshoot' in a PGA design as shown in (B) which is  is quite different from the normal overshoot as shown in (C). the phase margin is enough (80 degree), and the opamp is a cascode + gain-boost structure. but when I reduce the W/L of input MOS pair and keep bias current  unchanged, the response of Vo becomes normal as shown in (D).  
what does this ridiculous 'overshoot' come from? is it something to do with the parameter setting of input MOS pair?

thanks!

View Profile chaojixin chaojixin 278916917   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2011, 1:18pm

What "large signal" amplitude are you putting in?
It could be you are slewing most of the way and small signal is not relevant.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2011, 7:55am

It can also be a transient from input to output capacitively coupling thru the transistors.

If you are trying a "step response" you will see the step couple through system.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.