The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 31st, 2024, 11:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ft (transition freq) and GBW (Read 2789 times)
luky

ft (transition freq) and GBW
Aug 02nd, 2011, 4:59am

Hi, all
     under 0.18um cmos process, ft is about 30GHz. But a op with Aopen=6,f(-3dB)=3.2GHz can be designed under this tec? why?
     Is there any relationship between ft and GBW(Aopen*f(-3dB))?

THANKS

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re:  ft (transition freq) and GBW
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2011, 2:12am

I am not sure if I well understand your question.
Nevertheless, I'll try to answer:

Of course, the several components have a higher transit frequency than the resulting opamp. The reason is that - due to stability properties if feedback is applied - the opamp gain function must be shaped like a first order lowpass.  This is the main reason for a rather low open loop gain cut-off (only 10...20 Hz for all-purpose opamps).

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2011, 7:19am

hi lucky,

i think you will struggle to design a standard amp that has a GBW of 19.2GHz ... (6*3.2GHz) ... especially if you want it working over PVT.

however, never say never.

To achieve 3.2GHz, you will need some "tricks" ... e.g. neutralization, inductive peaking etc ... I think you will find such tricks widely discussed in literature.

Note that there are trade-offs ... and whether they are "robust" enough for production.

there are some rule of thumbs ... and i remember willy sansen mentioning something like GBW = ft/16 ... I would say something like ft/10 is a good target.

in any case ... don't read too much into the reported ft numbers ... it should be treated purely as a GUIDE only !

good luck !

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2011, 8:09am

hello lucky,
ya as harpen said it is very difficult to reach ft for opamps, you can design with nuralization and some kind of idicutive peaking techniques. Moreoever ft is a some king of extrapolated paaramer and no resister have taken into consideration so just consider Ft is a benchmark. Please refere this paper to get some more information about ft. 10-40GHz design in SiGe-BiCMOS and Si-CMOS –
linking technology and circuits to maximize
performance
Recently i have come across a pap titled (11 GHz UGBW Op-amp with feed-forward compensation technique) where they have reached 11G ugb but with some body biasing technique.

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.