The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 11:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sizing differential pair transitors (Read 6970 times)
purplewolf

sizing differential pair transitors
Aug 04th, 2011, 4:31am

I simulated a differential pair with ideal tail current source from 500uA-3mA  The width of diff pair transistory were kept contact to 12u in 180 nm CMOS. I found out that the circuit gives good performance at 1.4mA. The next task would be replace the ideal current source with current mirror. But how do i size the diff pair transistors. Is 12u width enough for  1.4 mA tail current...The Spectre does not give me anysort of error. whats the tradeoffs and am i missing something.??..

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Re: sizing differential pair transitors
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2011, 5:06am

The current density doesn't looks very extreme, so I think you'll be fine. Check your PDK doc's for confirmation.
Needless to say, watch your layout to avoid limitations by Ohmic drops, or even in worst case, burning metal tracks. ><

View Profile   IP Logged
purplewolf

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2011, 5:34am

I want to understand the relation between tail current transsitor W/L and the diff pair transistor W/L.. Since, when the diff pair transistor is fully on, Itail will flow through it. Why not make it equal to Itail device?? But it  will have huge parasitic capacitance associated with it!! Whats the criteria of sizing diff pair device so that its dimension is optimum and robust and will work in all environments..

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2011, 5:53am

simple questions:

Where are the transistors functioning on a set of bias curves?

What is the optimal matching geometry for the process?

Have you done the differential pair with a set of M=2 transistors, so that you can common centroid the differential pair in the layout?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
purplewolf

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2011, 6:10am

loose-electron wrote on Aug 4th, 2011, 5:53am:
simple questions:

The diff pair is a part of charge pump which will get input from PFD. How do i get its functioning from set of bias curves as you are mentioning.
I dont know about this
Have you done the differential pair with a set of M=2 transistors, so that you can common centroid the differential pair in the layout?

I have multiplier factor of 2. But what about its width and length adjustment. What is i choose other multiplier factor

View Profile   IP Logged
purplewolf

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2011, 6:11am

Repost.
simple questions:

ANSWER:The diff pair is a part of charge pump which will get input from PFD. How do i get its functioning from set of bias curves as you are mentioning.
ANSWER:I dont know about this
ANSWER: I have multiplier factor of 2. But what about its width and length adjustment. What is i choose other multiplier factor

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2011, 7:49am

That is not a differential pair, as in the input of an op-amp. What you are describing is a set of current steering switches, in an H-bridge configuration.

Different considerations for that. Minimum geometry for devices, at the weakest process corner and the most expected current in the devices. That gets you to the smallest sized device to steer current.

For this application, the reason you are trying to get to the smallest devices is so that you minimize charge injection into the loop filter.

Jerry Twomey
purplewolf

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:34am

The peak current that passes though the current steering switches is equal to Itail. If the size of tail current device is 100u and the size of steering device is 12u, will there be any physical reliability issues on part of steering device due to its smaller size and more current passing through it?
The physical reliability issues can be adressed through weakest process corner??
Am i thinking in right direction??.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2011, 11:21am

look thru your foundry data for information available on max current vs. device size. Might be with the electromigration stuff, but this is something different.

Jerry Twomey
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.