The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 2nd, 2024, 9:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Allowable voltage ripple in MPU supply voltage (Read 6973 times)
jbrydon

Allowable voltage ripple in MPU supply voltage
Aug 09th, 2011, 4:23pm

In an MPU with a supply voltage range of 3.3 to 5 volts I want to use the output of a switch mode chip that has a ripple of about a volt within that range to provide the supply voltage. Datasheets are silent on the allowable ripple, both magnitude & frequency. Texas Instruments says that's not a parameter they quote. Any ideas on deciding the allowable parameters (other than experiment) ?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Allowable voltage ripple in MPU supply voltage
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2011, 12:34am

O/P voltage ripple is the one of the spec for any regulator, because it desides decap size. This come from load specifications.
Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
jbrydon

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2011, 1:20am

I'm sorry, you have misunderstood my question. I wish to determine what voltage ripple my MPU will tolerate on its supply.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2011, 4:15am

hello it depends on the spec yaar. Please check the load data sheets yaar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
jbrydon

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2011, 6:33pm

If you read my original post you will see that the whole point of this is that MPU manufacturers are silent (as far as I can determine) as to the tolerable ripple allowed on the power pins of their MPUs. Please don't reply again if you still don't understand the problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2011, 6:12pm

Hi Jbrydon,

Does the ripple of switch regulator exceed the spec of MPU? I think MPU must have minimum and maximum voltage specs.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
jbrydon

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2011, 10:34pm

The ripple is within the supply voltage range of the MPU. My worry is that a rapidly varying supply, although within the DC limits will still cause problems. Imagine, for example, if you had a legal range of 3.3 to 5v and the supply was 4v with a fast ±0.5v square or sawtooth wave superimposed.

View Profile   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2011, 1:48am

It is not easy to spec the ripple and what effect it has on the MPU.

It depends on what the MPU is doing internally and how the MPU uses those supplies.

Here is a stab at answering the question :-
a) If the MPU is in charge of some really tough PHY (e.g. USB2, PCIe, etc ...), then it is crucial to provide as clean a supply as possible, else eye diagram degradation creeps in ... (though this may not apply to the 3.3V pins)

b) To get an idea of what is tolerable, look at the power management circuit reference of the MPU and check what the ripple spec of the regulator powering the MPU is. Generally 0.5%-1% maybe ?

c) If the MPU has internal regulators (e.g. takes the 3.3V-5V input and drops it down to 1.2V internally), then there will be some spec/info regarding what the internal regulator can tolerate.

d) In your example of 3.3-5V input, wouldn't there be a decoupling cap on that pin ? This decoupling cap will smooth out your sawtooth and provide a semi-stable supply to the MPU.

hope this helps ...

View Profile   IP Logged
jbrydon

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2011, 10:22pm

Yup - all good ideas. I'm also thinking of speaking to ARM direct to see whether they issue guidance notes for integrators as to what inputs internal voltage regulators can tolerate.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.