The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 7th, 2024, 9:16am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
miller compensation (Read 6815 times)
Praveen K

Bangalore
Re: miller compensation
Reply #15 - Sep 28th, 2011, 8:19am

Hi Raj,
Please send it to kpraveenthomas@gmail.com

thank you,
k.praveen

View Profile praveenjthomas   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Reply #16 - Sep 29th, 2011, 9:42am

Hey Raja,

I think i understand what praveen is explaining. First stage will see a miller multiplied cap only when there exists a gain for stage2 (Ceff~=Av2*Ccomp). But if the 2nd stage load cap is so high that pole2 becomes dominant and Av2 falls to below 0dB before pole1, then stage1 does not see any miller multiplied cap. Pole1 simply becomes ro1*(Cp1+Ccomp), where Cp1 is parasitic cap at stg1 o/p.

So. in this case put a buffer between stg1 and stg2 so that, pole1=ro1*Cp1 and this increases ur phase margin (dont forget that pole2 is dominant and pole1 has to be moved away from origin for better phase margin)

Correct me if i am wrong.

-Rajkumar

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #17 - Oct 2nd, 2011, 4:04am

hello rajkumar,
i am about to post ans for this query, but one question do you think miller fail in case of o/p pole dominate and first stage pole non-dominate?

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Reply #18 - Oct 3rd, 2011, 6:32am

Hi Raja,

Yes miller will fail when the o/p pole is dominant.
Under normal conditions when p2>UGB, P2 equation comes like gm2/CL, where gm2 is stg2 trans-conductance. Here gm2 comes in the equation, because after UGB, the Cc (miller cap) impedance is so low that M2 tranr appears like diode connected.

All these are derived under some assumptions. Now if u start increasing the CL, then after some value the pole2 itself will not be equal to gm2/CL, since the M2 presents more o/p impedance than simple 1/gm2. And if u further increase the CL,  than the p2 equation becomes 1/(ro2*CL). And if u make P2 dominant, then Av2 falls after P2 and the stg1 doesn't see the full miller cap.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #19 - Oct 3rd, 2011, 7:02am

hello rajkumar,
you are worng, let me explain. If outpole dominate then entire explanation is wrong. Miller works in any case for your reference plz check this fig (http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1314197543). So from that fig you can say miller works in any case. Because when you have o/p pole dominates, then you will see miller multiplied resistance rather miller cap, which is very difficult to explain and unfortunatly i forgot where i read this. Plz belive me that miller works in either case.

Thanks,
Raj.

rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Reply #20 - Oct 4th, 2011, 2:16am

Hi raja
i am still unable to understand ur  point intuitively. But, anyhow i will do the maths and then try to analyse it.

-Rajkumar

View Profile   IP Logged
Praveen K

Bangalore
Reply #21 - Oct 4th, 2011, 2:54am

Hi Raj, Thanks for sending me those papers. I'm going thru them and working on it. Let me see if i can convince myself on what you say, if not i'll post my arguments to you shortly.

hi Rajkumar, your perception of AV2 falling below 0db if output pole is dominant is new to me, i've never thought of it that way. let me verify this in simulation, then i think i can appreciate it well.

thanks,
Praveen

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #22 - Oct 4th, 2011, 3:11am

hello rajkumar,
please find the attached fig, please derive the impedance into the cap, you get at lower frequency miller cap but at some high frequency you get some resistance which is called miller resister (this is the resister responcible to make non dominate pole at firrt stage o/p more non dominate)

Thanks,
Raj.

rajkumar_001.png
Praveen K

Bangalore
Reply #23 - Oct 6th, 2011, 5:29am

hi Raj,

In my simulation I posted before, the values for the two stages were,

GM1 = 9.5mS ,   R1 = 11.36K , C1 = 11pF
GM2 = 18.82mS, R2 = 1.15K (after loading of 1mA)  ,  C2 = 10nF
miller Cc = 0pF , 100pF

I tried to find the poles and zeros of the whole transfer function Vout/Vin with small signal models for the two stages with miller cap across it, and as you know its a long expression.

then I plugged in the above values to that expression in octave and tried to see how the pole and zero moves with variation of miller cap Cc

for Cc = 0pF the Vout/vin =

1.626e+15
---------------------------------
 (s + 8.737e+04) (s + 8.004e+06)

for Cc = 10pF the Vout/Vin =

8.534e+14 (s - 1.883e+09)
---------------------------------
 (s + 7.172e+04) (s + 5.104e+06)

for Cc = 100pF the Vout/Vin =

1.631e+14 (s - 1.883e+08)
--------------------------------
 (s + 2.71e+04) (s + 2.554e+06)

for Cc = 1nF the Vout/Vin =

1.958e+13 (s - 1.883e+07)
----------------------------
 (s + 3727) (s + 2.039e+06)

you can see from above, increasing the miller Cc results in both the poles moving to lower frequencies and there is no pole splitting. The zero is again away from the two poles at a higher frequency.

So with no approximation to the transfer function, clearly when C2*R2 > C1*R1 , miller cap Cc doesn't pole split nor helps in PM???

or am i missing something in the above?

thanks,
Praveen

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #24 - Oct 6th, 2011, 6:36am

hello pravin,
let me look at this, but i did some some behaviour model simulation at 25n  compensation cap i am getting some 55deg PM. Soon i will get back to you.

Thanks,
raj.

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #25 - Oct 13th, 2011, 7:33am

hello pravin,
have you got conclusion regarding this or still strugling? try the cap what i gave in the previous post check once, what i found is in the case of o/p pole dominate miller caps needs to be much higher... Hope some one who has good understanding will clarify further..

Thanks,
raj.

Praveen K

Bangalore
Reply #26 - Oct 14th, 2011, 12:39am

Hi raj,

there is no conclusion yet. As far as i see with the miller cap both the poles move to lower frequency when output pole is dominant. Yes, you get some phase margin with a miller cap > 10nF. But do you think its worth to have a miller cap > load cap of that size, again, off chip!! Cheesy

Praveen

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #27 - Oct 14th, 2011, 3:25am

yes praveen,
you are correct, i am also in confusion. But here miller still works but not worthy i guess. Did you try in your sim?

Thanks,
Raj.

Praveen K

Bangalore
Reply #28 - Oct 14th, 2011, 4:06am

hi raj,
yes i tried in simulation. As i increase the miller cap more than 25nF i get some PM of 35deg.

One thing i observed is that the dominate (output) pole moves faster inwards than the non-dominant pole to lower frequency as you increase the miller cap.

Praveen

HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #29 - Oct 18th, 2011, 6:46am

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 3rd, 2011, 7:02am:
hello rajkumar,
you are worng, let me explain. If outpole dominate then entire explanation is wrong. Miller works in any case for your reference plz check this fig (http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1314197543). So from that fig you can say miller works in any case. Because when you have o/p pole dominates, then you will see miller multiplied resistance rather miller cap, which is very difficult to explain and unfortunatly i forgot where i read this. Plz belive me that miller works in either case.

Thanks,
Raj.

I partially agree with Raja. It is correct to say that Miller effect will always take place, regardless the value of CL, since such effect depends on the DC gain of the second stages. Thus CL does not play a role in such multiplication effect.
What it is also true that if the o/p pole is the dominant one then the expression for it is not 1/(gm2*R2*Cmiller*R01) anymore since now the contribution from CL has to be considered. In any case Miller capacitor will have to be very large in order to make the o/p pole non-dominant, since actually in that case the location of p1 and p2 will have to be actually inverted when considering the closeness to the imaginary axis.
But Miller effect will still be there anyways.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.