The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 9:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Output Measurement Buffer Amplifier for VCO (Read 3399 times)
purplewolf

Output Measurement Buffer Amplifier for VCO
Oct 10th, 2011, 1:57am

I want to design an Output Buffer Amplfier for measureing the phase noise and frequency of the VCO. The output of the amplifier will be connected to 50 ohm probe for measurement. This means a load of 50 Ohm connected at the drain of output amplifier.
My questions are
1) What should be the schematic of the whole buffer amplifier. I think it should be
an intercconection (-->) as follows.
VCO output  --> Common Gate --> Common Drain ---> Common Source--> 50 Ohm Resistor at the drain of common source stage

2)How must should be the amplitude for phase noise and frequency measurement and how to design such an amplifier

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Output Measurement Buffer Amplifier for VCO
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2011, 2:26am

hello,
you can design cascode CML buffer and common drain amplifier  with 50ohm resistive load, normal circuit. But for Phase noise you don't need any specific amplitude for PN mesurement, it is many times depends on the measurement instrument (some times you have to use attenuator to protect the instrument)

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2011, 2:32pm

purplewolf,

I would not load down the vco with a common gate amplifier (implies that the sources are connected to vco) this will de Q your VCO,  use a common source.  Also I am not sure there is such a thing as a common Drain amplifier or at least not one with any gain.    :)

Any phase noise measurement setup will have its own input referred noise so the amplitude you need to drive your signal needs to clear the noise floor with margin for the phase noise you are trying to measure.  at the same time not introduce noise above the vco's.  A common source stage with resistive load. provided that it switches fast enough will usually do the trick provided that the 1/f from the bias is minimal since it will be mixed up to the LO.  Finally the differential to single ended can be done with a totem pole stage.  

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
purplewolf

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2011, 12:55pm

thnx raja & rfcooltools.
common drain is just for isolation and level shifting..offcouse the gain will be provided by common source stage...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.