The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 3rd, 2024, 11:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gm/Id Methodology (Read 7798 times)
vinaydreddys

Hyderabad
gm/Id Methodology
Oct 15th, 2011, 1:32am

Hi All,

I am a student of VLSI and new to Analog Design.

I have recently come across a methodology called the gm/id methodology which is claimed to be used for short channels.

I am interested to learn this methodology and is looking for guidance in this regard.

Thanks a lot in advance... Smiley
Vinay

View Profile vinaydreddys   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: gm/Id Methodology
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2011, 2:31am

hello,
yes you are correct, gm/id methodology is one of the best method to design op amps with lesser iterations. Please have look at this pdf

https://ccnet.stanford.edu/ee214b/

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Larry_80
Community Member

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2011, 10:48pm

gm/id methodology is just a way of characterizing your device. So gm/Id is basically an Efficiency measurement for a certain device and can be used as a quick way to obtain various parameters that can be used in design of Op-Amps as mentioned by the poster above. gm/Id in a way can be used as a figure of merit for your device, though this will only take care of parameters like gain etc. Since in Analog design (and Digital), Gain trades with bandwidth, we need to be able to characterize the frequency at which our device will still work as an amplifier and not attenuator, so this requires another type of FOM (figure of Merit) that considers both gm/Id and frequency. Analog design is very interesting and if you really have a passion for it, the sky is the LIMIT.

View Profile   IP Logged
Larry_80
Community Member

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2011, 10:59pm

In addition, you can plot your gm/Id versus Vdsat for your device. You will observe it reaches an optimum values at some Vdsat* value after which the efficiency decreases i.e u are just burning extra current without amplifying any further. So basically, you would like to bias your device around the vdsat* region. In all honesty, you need to study this in detail to be able to appreciate it.

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2011, 11:04pm

Have any of you checked out the book on gm/id methodology by Paul Jespers?  It's available on amazon.... I'm wondering if it's worth picking up.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2011, 12:40pm

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 15th, 2011, 2:31am:
hello,
yes you are correct, gm/id methodology is one of the best method to design op amps with lesser iterations. Please have look at this pdf

https://ccnet.stanford.edu/ee214b/

Thanks,
raj.

Hi Raj
I didn't see any pdf at the link you provided.

View Profile   IP Logged
Praveen K

Bangalore
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2011, 10:21pm

hi Rob,

download the course reader, from the handout link on left,

here is it,

https://ccnet.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/course.cgi?cc=ee214b&action=handout_menu

k.praveen

View Profile praveenjthomas   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2011, 5:10pm

AnalogDE wrote on Oct 15th, 2011, 11:04pm:
Have any of you checked out the book on gm/id methodology by Paul Jespers?  It's available on amazon.... I'm wondering if it's worth picking up.  

I checked out the book from the library when it first came out.  I wasn't super impressed.  I think Murmann's notes are better.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.