The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 3rd, 2024, 3:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Folded Cascode OTA design - Help (Read 2916 times)
ashwin87

Folded Cascode OTA design - Help
Oct 17th, 2011, 10:05am

Hi,

I am currently designing a folded cascode amplifier. I have designed the cascode transistors with Vov = 100mV. Vdd = 2.5 V. Vinput common mode = 1.25

i simulated the DC transfer curve for Vicm = 0 to 2.5. I got all the transistor in saturation from 1 to 1.8 V (constant slope). When when I simulated for output swing, upon giving differential input signals, my cascode leg transistors go into triode region. range of differential input voltage give is from +- 0.05

Please help me look at the direction to solve this problem.

Thanks
Ashwin

View Profile   IP Logged
niwin

Re: Folded Cascode OTA design - Help
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2011, 2:18pm

You should not measure output swing open loop (well, I guess you could, but I would not recommend it). When you apply a large differential input signal directly, you are causing large signal currents to swamp out the cascode transistors. The cascode transistors are going to try to sink/source this extra current, and when they can't, they will go into triode.

In normal usage, you will employ negative feedback to keep the two inputs at the same potential.

See page 6 of the following document for an example:
http://www.mrc.uidaho.edu/mrc/people/harry/ee415/class_handouts/two_stg_char.pdf...

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2011, 3:14pm

A schematic-picture of your circuits and test configuration would be useful

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2011, 1:00am

hello,
it is better to test your opamp in closed loop always (at least for high gain amps and to get proper control on o/p bias) just keeping it in unity feedback or some kind of feedback which is having FB at dc and no fb at frequency of interest by keeping low pass filtered FB

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.