The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Balun-LNA design (Read 1586 times)
prakash@191

India
Balun-LNA design
Oct 19th, 2011, 6:17am

I have designed balun-LNA using parallel combination of CS and CG stage.  My circuit has differential output and single ended input. I matched the input for 50ohms since it is single ended. But my doubt is how to match the differential output for 100ohms.
For output impedance matching, i have separately matched the output for 50ohms assuming virtual ground.(for both outputs of CS and CG buffer stages). After matching i lifted the virtual ground and the output capacitors will come in series. I replaced them with single capacitor ( series combination). I haved used capacitors for matching purpose at the output of buffer stages.

With this setup, i measured S22 by keeping port in between the terminals.
I want to know whether my way of thinking is correct?

Any help would be appreciated

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Re: Balun-LNA design
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2011, 7:02pm

prakash@191,

I can't exactly picture what you are talking about a simple hand drawing would help.

The concatenating of series components is "legal" for the rough stage of the design process and generally a 100 Ohm port at the output will be useful for calculating part of the performance, but its the most ideal situation.  You will want to do more to charectorize other aspects such as common mode stability and performance with an unbalanced load.    

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.