The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 4th, 2024, 3:08am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Finding zero in an amplifier (Read 8898 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Finding zero in an amplifier
Oct 25th, 2011, 9:25am

hello all,
while razaavi i got the follwoing doubt.

For finding zero of an amplifier, generally by making Vout=0 and find the zero, i know it's simpler and explained in razaavi which is working  in all cases. But at the ZERO frequency will the amplifier o/p goes to zero? up to my knoledge for zero's which are placed on jw axis only do this. Please refere page no 176 in razaavi.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Garrett.Neaves

Analog Design
Engineer

United States
Re: Finding zero in an amplifier
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2011, 11:03am

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 25th, 2011, 9:25am:
But at the ZERO frequency will the amplifier o/p goes to zero?

Yes.  The Vout(s)=0 at s=gm/CGD +j0.   This zero is at a complex frequency which has a non-zero real part and a zero imaginary part. If the circuit is responding to an excitation at this complex frequency, then the Vout would be zero.  

If the circuit is responding to a pure sinusoid with a radian frequency of w, i.e. s=0+jw, then Vout(jw) is not zero. If jw is varied from 0 to positive values, then the zero at s=gm/CGD +j0 contributes a +20dB/dec to the overall slope of the magnitude of Vout(jw)/Vin(jw) at frequencies higher than w=gm/CGD.  This value of w is often referred to loosely as a zero frequency in the magnitude versus w plot.  The actual zero at  s=gm/CGD +j0 causes a corner frequency at w=gm/CGD in the magnitude versus w plot.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2011, 1:38pm

hello Garrett.Neaves,
To be frank i didn't understand your answer, may be i am not that good in this basics.
if s=gm/CGD +j0, then there is no complex frequency, only you have attenuation, so up to my knoledge there is sinusoidal signa which can make Vout zero....

Could you please explain clearly...

Thanks,
raj.

Garrett.Neaves

Analog Design
Engineer

United States
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2011, 4:42pm

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 25th, 2011, 1:38pm:
hello Garrett.Neaves,
To be frank i didn't understand your answer, may be i am not that good in this basics.
if s=gm/CGD +j0, then there is no complex frequency, only you have attenuation, so up to my knoledge there is sinusoidal signa which can make Vout zero....

Could you please explain clearly...

Thanks,
raj.

Hi Raj,

s=gm/CGD +j0 is a point in the complex frequency plane.  Vout(s)=0 at this frequency in the complex frequency plane.

A circuit excited by pure sinusoids such as when sweeping the frequency in an ac simulation, is represented in the complex frequency plane as a sweep along the jw axis.

The value of Vout(jw)/Vin(jw) as w is swept is determined by the poles and zeros of Vout(s)/Vin(s) wherever the poles and zeros lie in the complex frequency plane.

That is, the poles and zeros of Vout(s)/Vin(s) effect the shape of  Vout(jw)/Vin(jw) versus w even when the poles and zeros do not lie on the jw axis.

I explained it as clearly as I am able in this posting type of communication.  Maybe someone else can explain in a way which would be more helpful to you.

Best Regards,
Garrett

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2011, 12:53am

Garrett.Neaves wrote on Oct 25th, 2011, 11:03am:
Yes.  The Vout(s)=0 at s=gm/CGD +j0.   This zero is at a complex frequency which has a non-zero real part and a zero imaginary part. If the circuit is responding to an excitation at this complex frequency, then the Vout would be zero.  

Hi Garrett.
Are you able to excite a circuit with a complex frequency s that has zero imaginary part ? No, I don't think so.
Thus, the output of a real circuit will be zero for one case only: If the transfer function is zero for an excitation s=jw (with real part=0).
Sometimes this is called "a real zero". This may sound confusing but means: A frequency that can be created in reality (and it is purely imaginary in the s-domain).

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2011, 1:01am

@ Garrett.Neaves : thanks for your effort, i have last question, let us say if you have a TF=(s+1)/(s+2) now according to your theory at s=-1 you have zero (i also agree), but can you tell me in your magnitude plot will it go to 0, or let me ask you in another way can you give a sinusoidal signal which makes this TF magnitude 0.

Thanks,
raj.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2011, 3:28am

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 26th, 2011, 1:01am:
@ Garrett.Neaves : thanks for your effort, i have last question, let us say if you have a TF=(s+1)/(s+2) now according to your theory at s=-1 you have zero (i also agree), but can you tell me in your magnitude plot will it go to 0, or let me ask you in another way can you give a sinusoidal signal which makes this TF magnitude 0.
Thanks,
raj.

No, he can't.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2011, 3:55am

hello buddypoor,
then why people says that @ zero frequency gain will be 0 and @ pole frequnecy gain will be inf, up to my knoledge if you have poles or zeros on iw axis then only you get .

But why this method is working in cases?

Thanks,
Raj.

Garrett.Neaves

Analog Design
Engineer

United States
Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2011, 5:19am

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 26th, 2011, 1:01am:

Thanks,
raj.

Raj,

For TF=(s+1)/(s+2), there is only one zero at s=-1+j0.  There is no non-zero value of w which produces a zero at s=0+jw.  Note that w is the frequency of a sinusoid. Therefore there is no sinusoidal signal which can make this TF magnitude equal to 0.

Garrett

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2011, 5:37am

hello Garrett.Neaves,

there is Contradiction between  first post and earlier post, so finally you agred that magnitude can't be zero, so why for finding Zero people are shorting o/p? for example take a simple CS amplifier there zero frequency is -gm/Cc, doesn't mean o/p at this frequency is 0 ....

Thnaks,
raj.

Garrett.Neaves

Analog Design
Engineer

United States
Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2011, 7:34am

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 26th, 2011, 5:37am:
hello Garrett.Neaves,

there is Contradiction between  first post and earlier post, so finally you agred that magnitude can't be zero, so why for finding Zero people are shorting o/p? for example take a simple CS amplifier there zero frequency is -gm/Cc, doesn't mean o/p at this frequency is 0 ....

Thnaks,
raj.

Raj,

Would you precisely document the contradiction?

Garrett

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2011, 7:51am

hello,
i donno how to document it. In your first post you said Vout will go to Zero and in one post you told it's won't go. Did you understand my Question? Any how i am decribing here for you

1.take a simple source follower, it gives left half zero @gm/Cgs, does it means o/p is zero at this frequency (just tell me yes/no)
2. In razaavi book he calculated this frequency by shorting the o/p.

Thanks,
Raj.

Garrett.Neaves

Analog Design
Engineer

United States
Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2011, 8:18am

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 26th, 2011, 7:51am:
hello,
i donno how to document it. In your first post you said Vout will go to Zero and in one post you told it's won't go. Did you understand my Question?

Thanks,
Raj.

Raj,

I believe I clearly understand your question.

I have been consistently saying that there is a complex frequency at which Vout(s)=0 (i.e. Vout(s)=0 when s=gm/CGD + j0 and that there is no pure sinusoid s=0+jw for which Vout(jw)=0.  

This is a necessary point for us to agree on if we are to take the next step to satisfy your question.

Best Regards,
Garrett

Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2011, 10:23pm

hi raja.cedt,

Fundamental things u have to bear in mind:-

1) Real frequency i.e jw and "s" (complex frequency) are two different things

2) T.F. must be zero or infinite at the ZEROs ( in s form) and at POLES  ( in s form)

3) If poles or zeros happens to be REAL frequency (i.e. s=jwz or jwp) then there exists sinusoids which makes T.F. infinity or zero

For example a LC parallel circuit:- in that case the denominator is LCs^2+1 . So poles are +/- j (1/(LC)^2). So real frequency poles.
So there exists a sinusoid at this frequency which makes the LC ckt to go to infinity. i.e. one get o/p at this frequency without any input (i.e it oscillate at the Resonance frequency).

Similarly you can find REAL zero for a series LC ckt.

4) Complex poles and ZEROS give  20 dB/decade roll off in bode plot.
   I hope this statement you can understand and prove urself why it is so .

Regards,
-Ricky

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #14 - Oct 30th, 2011, 12:35am

hello chen,
we both are on the same line man, i too agree that if you have poles or zero's on j*w axis then only we get 0 or infinite gain (this is simple from the math as well). My question is simple.

Let us say if you have (s+1)/(den), then zero will be at -1+(j*0) means there is sinusoidal signal frequency which can give you 0 gain, and source follower also belonged to this type but still razaavi made o/p short, found the zero frequency.

Thanks,
raj.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.