The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 4th, 2024, 3:12pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Question on FB (Read 15428 times)
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Question on FB
Reply #15 - Nov 06th, 2011, 5:25am

Simplify the thinking a little here:

OP2 and its attached circuitry do not matter.

Why? Its a fixed positive gain.

Thats like saying the first op-amp has a bit more gain in it, and noting else beyond that.

Analyze it from there.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #16 - Nov 6th, 2011, 6:00am

hello loose electron,
you are corect, but it adds adds Phase also.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #17 - Nov 7th, 2011, 12:21am

The second opamp has local feedback. In general that means less gain and a high frequency pole. The latter means that it most likely won't be dominant. So you don't really need to consider the 'phase'.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #18 - Nov 7th, 2011, 12:25am

hello alex,

I think you have to consider phase also because you said high  okay but how high compared to wp1..otherwise could you please tell me the relations between both UGB's

Thanks,
Raj.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #19 - Nov 7th, 2011, 12:38am

Of course, Raja.cedt is right in saying that the second opamp matters.
Contrary to loose-electron's statement ("fixed gain") the second opamp strongly influences the stability of the two-opamp combination (called "composite amplifier") due to its phase shift.
In this regard, the GBW of the second opamp as well as both resistor ratios are of importance. A simple ac simulations can reveal the problem areas.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #20 - Nov 7th, 2011, 12:59am

well raja. By broad banding your second opamp its pole moves up. That's the only thing we can tell. How much that is the question, and as we have no details, it's difficult to judge whether it is going to be dominant or not. I agree, and although I suspect it is not of importance, it can go either way...

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #21 - Nov 7th, 2011, 2:19am

Lex wrote on Nov 7th, 2011, 12:59am:
well raja. By broad banding your second opamp its pole moves up. That's the only thing we can tell. How much that is the question, and as we have no details, it's difficult to judge whether it is going to be dominant or not. I agree, and although I suspect it is not of importance, it can go either way...

I don't think that it is a question of "dominance"! The effect is simply that the frequency response of the second stage (with feedback) adds to the response of the open-loop gain of the 1st opamp.
Thus, this results in a composite opamp combination that has (at least) two poles within the active region. For a good phase margin the overall feedback should be sufficiently small - resulting in a relatively high overall gain. As mentioned already - details depend on resistor ratios and opamp properties (GBW in particular).

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #22 - Nov 7th, 2011, 2:34am

buddypoor wrote on Nov 7th, 2011, 2:19am:

I don't think that it is a question of "dominance"! The effect is simply that the frequency response of the second stage (with feedback) adds to the response of the open-loop gain of the 1st opamp.
Thus, this results in a composite opamp combination that has (at least) two poles within the active region.

I underlined some words in your reply. The first sentence I agree. The second sentence can be true, but doesn't have to be. So the word 'thus' is out of place, in my opinion. If you replace 'thus'  by 'for example' it'd be fine =)

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #23 - Nov 7th, 2011, 3:37am

Hi Alexander,

I suppose you are somewhat more familiar with the secrets of the english language than I am. Thus, I agree with you.
However, for a reasonable design (that makes sense) and for a second opamp with a GBW that is not much larger than that of the 1st opamp there will be a 2nd pole in the active region of the resulting opamp combination.
Don`t forget, the composite opamp should have better properties (more gain for higher frequencies) if compared with a single opamp. Otherwise the whole combination makes no sense. Of course, I can give the 2nd opamp with feedback a gain of 0 or perhaps 6 dB. But, where is the improvement?  
Therefore, the 2nd opamp should provide an additional gain of - let's say - at least 12...20 dB. And if its own GBW is not larger at least by a factor of 10 (compared to opamp 1) there will be a second pole within the active region of the combination.
Don't you agree?  

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #24 - Nov 7th, 2011, 4:10am

In this context (properties of a composite two-opamp combination) it is perhaps worth mentioning that many, many papers have been published in the past dealing with methods (active, passive) to stabilize such circuits - for amplifier as well as for integrator applications.
These methods are summarized under the name "active/passive phase compensation".
By the way: A very detailed treatement of 4 different methods to combine two opamps with the aim to extend the usable frequency range was published already in 1987 by Mikhael and Michael:
(Composite operational amplifiers: Generation and finite-gain applications, IEEE Transactions Circuits & Systems, CAS34, No.5, may 1987)

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #25 - Nov 7th, 2011, 6:54am

buddypoor wrote on Nov 7th, 2011, 3:37am:
Hi Alexander,

I suppose you are somewhat more familiar with the secrets of the english language than I am. Thus, I agree with you.
However, for a reasonable design (that makes sense) and for a second opamp with a GBW that is not much larger than that of the 1st opamp there will be a 2nd pole in the active region of the resulting opamp combination.
Don`t forget, the composite opamp should have better properties (more gain for higher frequencies) if compared with a single opamp. Otherwise the whole combination makes no sense. Of course, I can give the 2nd opamp with feedback a gain of 0 or perhaps 6 dB. But, where is the improvement?  
Therefore,.....

Well first of all, the second opamp might have other features than gain. Say for example a good driving capability or so. You could mix a low noise opamp with a low distortion opamp in this way.

But assuming that the second opamp would purely be used for gain, why placing the local feedback at all? To me it would seem better to get rid of that local feedback (find a way of preserving the negative sign), and use some decent frequency compensation, e.g. placing a capacitor in parallel with the resistor in the fb network (i.e. placing a zero in the fb). Much more efficient, imho.

Thx for the info. I will take a look at it some time. =)

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #26 - Nov 7th, 2011, 8:11am

hello buddypoor,
thanks for such a nice pap.

Thanks,
raj.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #27 - Nov 7th, 2011, 10:12am

Hi Alexander,

Qote: Well first of all, the second opamp might have other features than gain. Say for example a good driving capability or so. You could mix a low noise opamp with a low distortion opamp in this way.

Yes, I agree with you. More gain - and thus - hopefully more bandwidth is only one of several possible reasons. For example, often the second opamp is replaced by a current feedback amplifier because of its good slew rate properties.

Quote: But assuming that the second opamp would purely be used for gain, why placing the local feedback at all? To me it would seem better to get rid of that local feedback (find a way of preserving the negative sign), and use some decent frequency compensation, e.g. placing a capacitor in parallel with the resistor in the fb network (i.e. placing a zero in the fb). Much more efficient, imho.

I doubt if this is really a good suggestion. If this would be true, you could compensate each opamp with 2 poles in the active region using such a parallel capacitor. Or do you speak about two completely different opamps with different GBW's?
But I know several other composite configurations that have similar (or even better) properties. Some are treated/investigated in the mentioned article (and eqipped with stabilizing features).

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #28 - Nov 7th, 2011, 12:58pm

Short of special characteristics the second opamp is not needed.

If its chip level, that second set of "special" properties can be put into the first opamp.

Second order effects like additional noise, additional phase, (and a bunch of other things) are not even being considered here.

Just the basic architecture.

If you want to get into he relative pole placement of things, additive phase, additive noise figure, contributions of offset and systematic mismatches etc etc etc etc you are going to need a lot more details to define it.

Whet was described in the original question can be done with a single opamp.

Jerry Twomey
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #29 - Nov 7th, 2011, 1:00pm

Also, if you want a special output stage, close the feedback path with that device in the feedback loop, that way the high gain of the opamp gets used to maintain linearity of the output device.

Jerry Twomey
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.