The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
QPSK modulation/demodulation spectra (Read 2998 times)
solanojedi

QPSK modulation/demodulation spectra
Oct 29th, 2011, 1:58am

Hi everybody,
I don't know if this is the appropriate section for the question, but I post here.
I'm reading about digital modulation (in particular on Lee-Messerschmitt's Digital Communications) and I have this picture (RX.jpeg attached). These three structures are equivalent: so, at the end of each structure, I should have the same spectrum.
I tried to think what can happen to the spectrum of a received signal in the third case (analytic bandpass filter with baseband spectrum and I tried to design some spectra shapes ( like they do @pag.13 of this article  http://www.eumus.edu.uy/eme/cursos/dsp/material/Lyons_Quadrature.Signals.pdf ) .

In the case with a complex filter I found those spectra pictured in the attached figure RXchain.jpg, but if I multiply the Q-path signal by j and then sum to the I-path signal (like they do in the paper of Lyons) I DON'T obtain the same signal that I have from the structure with two mixers+low pass filter.

So, here my questions:
1) First of all, why the spectrum of quadrature modulated signal have the two sidebands asymmetric? How do they create such signals?
(I have found this paper  http://www.sato.gits.waseda.ac.jp/file/77a  where in Fig. 1(a) they represent some baseband spectra QPSK but I don't know if they are correct..)
2) Why the receiver chain with the complex filter doesn't give the same result as the other two structures?

Thank you if you can help me!

Nicola
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2011, 8:30am by Ken Kundert »  

RX.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
solanojedi

Re: QPSK modulation/demodulation spectra
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2011, 1:59am

Here's the second attachement.

Thanks you!

Nicola

RXchain2_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.