The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 4th, 2024, 3:14pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Common Mode Feedback Contorl (Read 4668 times)
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Re: Common Mode Feedback Contorl
Reply #15 - Nov 01st, 2011, 4:15am

Praveen,
any leakage path at the gate of M7 will take the steady state node voltage to the extremes eventually and hence the circuit doesn't work.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #16 - Nov 1st, 2011, 4:22am

rajkumar palwai wrote on Nov 1st, 2011, 4:15am:
Praveen,
any leakage path at the gate of M7 will take the steady state node voltage to the extremes eventually and hence the circuit doesn't work.

Rajkumar,

That is why there is a refresh cycle in Switch cap CMFB circuits.
The circuit by the way is the snap-shot of one state of Switch cap CMFB circuit. So DC -ve f/B does EXIST in the above circuit !!

View Profile   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Reply #17 - Nov 1st, 2011, 4:23am

I mean, at the steady state the average value of the M7 gate voltage would be either '0' or 'vdd' depending on whether the leakage to gnd is strong or leakage to vdd is strong.

U can simulate a simple example case. Put 2 caps in series and give 2 transient signals at the 2 ends. Then connect a big resistor (eg:1e12) at the centre node to gnd/vdd to model the leakage and see the o/p waveforms.

View Profile   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Reply #18 - Nov 1st, 2011, 4:25am

Ricky,
yaa. it wil work in switch cap cmfb ckts, where we periodically refresh the charge.

But i thought praveen was asking about the DC cap feedback circuit and expalining that.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #19 - Nov 1st, 2011, 4:28am

rajkumar palwai wrote on Nov 1st, 2011, 4:23am:
I mean, at the steady state the average value of the M7 gate voltage would be either '0' or 'vdd' depending on whether the leakage to gnd is strong or leakage to vdd is strong.

U can simulate a simple example case. Put 2 caps in series and give 2 transient signals at the 2 ends. Then connect a big resistor (eg:1e12) at the centre node to gnd/vdd to model the leakage and see the o/p waveforms.

You did NOT understand what I mean to say.
What do you think the leakage impedance will be ?? Will it be such that it will leak the sizable amount of charge from the CAP before the refresh cycle ??

if that you think, then probably switch-CAP circuit would NOT have existed !!

Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Reply #20 - Nov 1st, 2011, 6:59am

Ricky,
I do know how a switched cap CMFB works and i designed pipelined ADC's using that.

In my previous post i was just explaining a case when there is no refresh cycle at-all i.e when u connect the fdbk caps just like that and dont refresh them for ever.

I hope u understand.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #21 - Nov 1st, 2011, 3:53pm

Ricky Chen wrote on Oct 31st, 2011, 11:58pm:
SWITCH CAP  CMFB circuit.
By the way the above circuits are the snapshot of one state of SWITCH CAP sense circuit

None of us can read minds.
You never said anything before about this.
Please define your probably correctly in the
future, and do not assume we have the capability
read your mind from the other side of the planet.

My mind reading capabilities are limited to under a 300km range.
Cheesy

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #22 - Nov 2nd, 2011, 12:59am

hello wave,
how does current source solve start up problem here?

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #23 - Nov 2nd, 2011, 2:10am

loose-electron wrote on Nov 1st, 2011, 3:53pm:
Ricky Chen wrote on Oct 31st, 2011, 11:58pm:
SWITCH CAP  CMFB circuit.
By the way the above circuits are the snapshot of one state of SWITCH CAP sense circuit

None of us can read minds.
You never said anything before about this.
Please define your probably correctly in the
future, and do not assume we have the capability
read your mind from the other side of the planet.

My mind reading capabilities are limited to under a 300km range.
Cheesy

Hello Loose-Electron

After knowing that it is a switch-cap CMFB, do you have any answer to my question ? How DC f/b is NOT in the circuit ?

Sorry for trying to read people's mind.
Thanks for letting the forum know about your reading CAPABILITY

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #24 - Nov 2nd, 2011, 2:31am

Funny thread with all those cheesy smileys  :D.

Both structures have their advantages. The one without the DC bias can be advantageous if you want to spare on biasing circuits/routing. The one with DC will probably have better start up behavior, less leakage problems, better (large signal) common mode rejection and so on.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ricky Chen
Community Member

Reply #25 - Nov 2nd, 2011, 2:38am

Lex wrote on Nov 2nd, 2011, 2:31am:
Funny thread with all those cheesy smileys  :D.

Both structures have their advantages. The one without the DC bias can be advantageous if you want to spare on biasing circuits/routing. The one with DC will probably have better start up behavior, less leakage problems, better (large signal) common mode rejection and so on.

thanks a Lot !! Alexander

Can you please explain why it will have better (large signal) common mode rejection ?
You may point to any literature which actually explains this large signal CM behavior in CMFB circuit

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #26 - Nov 2nd, 2011, 6:49pm

The circuit that only control part of the common mode is preferred in my opinion.

With only partial amounts of the current under control, you will be less likely to create wide erratic behavior ion the common mode signal.

One circuit can fully turn the bias current on/pff, the other one can adjust things up-down in a smaller amount.

Jerry Twomey
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2011, 2:21pm

Maybe Ricky should change his chance his avatar to Wilma so I can tell him from loose e- (as in loose e, I'm home).

I don't know a ton about cap cmfb, but the circuits I've seen switch both sides of the cap to reference points during a reset cycle. This allows a voltage drop across the caps to the fb device and the CM output to be biased at any level desired. If resistors were used there would be no DC drop and the either the fb device or the diff pair would be linear except within a very small range of input common mode bias with this particular topology. (Although a dc current could be injected at node P to level shift the output common mode level.)

You'd like the FB device to supply only a small current to keep the common mode gain small, especially for increased stability (IE the parallel DC tail source supplies most of the current). The danger of this is that if mismatches cause the parallel DC tail current to be more than the PMOS currents the fb device will be completely off and the output will be pulled low.

Low CMFB gain also means the common mode output will deviate a larger amount from ideal since the FB device will need more gate drive to make up for mismatched tail/load currents.

addendum... I'm pretty sure this circuit is meant to be reset as opposed to using resistances. The resistances are not needed: one could use simply use two NMOS FB devices: both drains tied to the tail, and the first/second gates tied to the left/right outputs respectively.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #28 - Nov 6th, 2011, 5:33am

Ricky:

You really need to ask the question in a better fashion.

If the circuit is a switched capacitor system, you need to show all states and switches.

Acquisition phase, zero out phase, control phase - whatever you got.

Thing is you can get a switched cap system to deal with CMFB and all that put you need to show whats going on in all phases and control points of your switching.

If the system is run switch cap and includes proper zero and precharge of all capacitors, it can work properly. For something like that, a fixed DC current on the bias is NOT wanted, because then it injects a leakage effect that causes the control voltages on the capacitors to discharge/droop.

Ask your question again with a better definition of the problem.

Jerry Twomey
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.