The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 3:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to simulate the whole IR-UWB receiver? (Read 3619 times)
couragebo

How to simulate the whole IR-UWB receiver?
Nov 03rd, 2011, 7:13am

Dear all,
After finishing the circuit design for building blocks, how do I simulate  the overall performance of the whole IRUWB receiver (Noise Figure...)?  Can I simulate the whole receiver together, or first simulate the blocks before multiplier, and then the blocks after the multiplier?

My IR-UWB receiver obtains 1st order gaussian pulse (3-5GHz) from attenna, and the receiver contains a LNA, a multiplier, low pass filter, VGA and comparator. (The 2 inputs of multiplier are the same signal from LNA, since we use energy detection method. So there is no Local oscillator.) The recovered signal is around 100MHz.

I am wondering how to simulate this wideband pulse signal? since the carrier frequency contains very rich harmonic components (from 100MHz to 5GHz).  The pulse at the input of LNA can be considered as modulation of 5GHz sinus signal and 100MHz gaussian signal. (or high frequency signal with gaussian envelope). But after the multiplier and Low pass filter, I get a pulse with freq components below 100MHz( unfortunate it is not a single frequency signal)

PSS/Pnoise with single beat freq is not enough,  how do I simulate this pulse which contains wide frequency components?

Many thanks for any idea!

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: How to simulate the whole IR-UWB receiver?
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2011, 1:35pm

Not practical at the transistor level.

Do you have a set of Verilog-AMS or other fully behavioral models for everything?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
couragebo

Re: How to simulate the whole IR-UWB receiver?
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2011, 8:39pm

Yes, I created VerilogA models during system-level design.

I was told that transient noise analysis is suitable to analyze the noise of  this kind of wideband receiver. Does anyone know how to use it?

I followed the Cadence application note of transient noise analysis, but it tell only how to calculate the output spectrum, and no noise figure or output noise  result is given.

Kind regards
Bo

View Profile   IP Logged
guilinwxb

Re: How to simulate the multiplier in IR-UWB receiver?
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2012, 7:00am

Dear couragebo:
   I'm design an IR UWB receiver recently. But I don't know how to simulate the  multipliter in cadence SpectreRF. Do you have any reference, or example to give me? Thank you!

guilinwxb

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.